April on Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:12:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 08-01-2002 [ No More Clutter + Zoom It Baby! ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

NNY Times Crosswords
Play hundreds of different crossword puzzles!

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $12.95!

Ulead PhotoImpact 6
Awesome graphics program - great for the web!

Only $34.97!

Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 w/ FREE Myst Game
The best encyclopedia with the # 1 game of all time!

Only $24.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $19.97!

Announcements

Wow - You're Making Our Shipping Dept Tremble!!

We can't believe the number of orders that came in for our Norton System Works 2002 Pro deal! If you missed it, we have this program on sale for $19.95!

It includes the full versions of Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Clean Sweep, Norton Utilities, Norton Ghost, Roxio GoBack, plus WinFax Basic! Anyone of these programs would be a deal at $19.97, but you get ' em all! (note that this is CD only - but all documentation is on the CD and you save $80.00 by skipping the book)

Did you miss it the first time? Then stop reading the newsletter and get to the link below ASAP:

http://www.worldstart.com/store/syswks.htm

PS - If purchased separately, this would be over $300.00 worth of software! Better hurry though!

MS Office 101

Ever been trying to "think things through" and found that all of the toolbars, menus, and other stuff plastered all over your screen were just too distracting?

One way to get the "uncluttered" look would be to actually go through the view menu and hide all the toolbars. That would be a lot of work and then there'd still be some stuff left cluttering the joint up. And then when you want to view them again, you'd have to go through that hassle again.

What a pain!

Want the ultimate uncluttered look of MS Word or Excel?

I knew you would. Simply go to the View menu, Full Screen option.

Bam! Everything is gone except the document or worksheet, the top menu bar (if you don't see it then run your mouse up there, it'll pop up) and a Full Screen floating toolbar containing only a Close button.

Edit your document, uncluttered style, and then use the Close Full Screen button to return to your regular display.

Before:

After:

That's it - the ultimate uncluttered look. (Too bad we don't have this one for the house!)

Office Tip of the Day

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom…

Do you find yourself squinting at the monitor trying to decipher the information on the screen? Are you constantly using larger fonts for editing and then changing them to an appropriate size for printing?

Wouldn't it be easier if you could simply make the program display the information larger, like the zoom feature on a camera? What I mean to say is, let's change the way we look at the text or data, not the actual size of the information.

The good news is that we can change the "lens" of the program. It's called Zoom and it allows us to view the document at different sizes without all the extra work of changing text size. And let's face it, in a complicated document or workbook we could loose a lot of time with formatting issues every time we changed font size.

We control the Zoom based on the percentage of the actual printed size of a document. Printed size equals 100% and from there you can increase or decrease size based upon your need.

You can find the Zoom feature in several different ways. One is to go to the View menu and select Zoom which is the last menu item. Next, a Zoom window will open with a list of choices for size of the document or workbook displayed. There's also a custom zoom where you can enter a specific percentage for display. Some windows will give you a display example and some won't.

If you want to zoom into the information, making it appear larger, then select a percent larger than the current setting.

If you wish to see the whole document at once you'll want to decrease the percentage from its current setting. This allows for you to see more of the document at once but often won't allow you to actually read the text if the percentage is set too low.

A faster way is to use the zoom drop-down list located on the Standard Toolbar.

Just click on the down arrow and select a Zoom option from the list. You could also click into the box, type the percentage number you'd like to set and hit the Enter key.

Now that you've had a chance to look at the ways to Zoom there's a couple of choices in various MS programs that could use some explaining.

In MS Excel, you will find the option of zooming the Selection or to Fit Selection. This option will zoom straight into highlighted cells.

In MS PowerPoint, you will find the Fit option. This will make a slide fit perfectly into the screen. No messing with the percentage, it will do it for you.

In MS Word, there are several options besides picking a percentage.

  • Page Width will automatically size the document to fit one page across the screen.
  • Whole Page will fit the document so that you can see one complete page at a time.
  • Two Pages will place two pages side-by-side on the screen to be view simultaneously.
  • Many Pages will allow you to click on the monitor picture and choose how many pages are displayed simultaneously.

And, now are you ready for the fastest way of all - the supreme trick of all zooming? I love this one - so quick and so easy.

This is for those readers who have an installed scroll mouse (a mouse with a little, scroll wheel between the buttons that when installed, spinning the wheel moves the document page up and down).

To zoom using the scroll mouse simply hold down the Ctrl key and spin the wheel. You should see the screen zooming in and out, depending upon which direction you spin the wheel. Using this technique I was able to go to zooms from 10 to 500% in a matter of seconds with no menus or clicks!

That's it for now. Zooming can definitely be helpful and make life a little easier on the eyes. It's all just a matter of preference and you'll have to play with it a bit to find what you prefer.

So zoom, zoom, zoom away…

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org