Bill Spornitz on Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:01:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> The problem with file-sharing

The problem with file sharing is, unlike the current War, it is so
darned popular.

The law makers can can make laws 'til they're blue-in-the-*,  some
smart post-digital guys can pine about community or the true cost of
content or the price we pay by forgoing the idea of *ownership* (
and, of course, the idea that *property is theft* or *information
wants to be free* or *the network treats improper network
administration like damage and routes around it* )  but the thing
about ->the music, movies etc(the fileshared files) You see,    a
good story/tune lives deep in the human brain, like a cow in a
meadow. But it also lives in the collective unconscious too, like a
bunch of cows live in a meadow, by the highway.  Can't stop that.
Plus, cows are  *never*  unpopular!

And another thing:
The temporary simple structure of good music is becoming ultra-vital
to people all around us. People are passionately devoted to their
recorded music, whether on cd, or not and in quantities an order of
magnitude greater than that of my generation.  People really love
music! It makes them feel better about things, and good music has
never been so accessible.

zoo-baw!