s|a|m on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:07:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] mySpinach - Independent Server Report (Feb 02)

mySPINACH REPORT – FEB 2003 (by Sam de Silva)

mySpinach is an Australian-based independent server providing net services to
a difficult-to-categorise bunch of people who are somehow involved with
working towards challenging, discussing and celebrating the worlds around
them.

The server was established in late 2000 and is hosted on the VA network.
Unlike some of the other net servers (such as cat.org.au and octapod.org),
mySpinach is not run by a collective, but is currently managed primarily by a
couple of volunteers. I am its coordinator and its technical side is
professionally serviced by Iain Pople of brunny.com. Having said that,
mySpinach does provide facilities to a like-minded community of people and is
guided by peer feedback, especially from members of the SpaceStation Media
Lab (www.spacestation.org.au). The mySpinach server lives on the Virtual
Artists (va.com.au) network. We have a commercial relationship with VA where
we are effectively charged a little bit more than what it costs VA to provide
us internet connectivity.

During the past 2 years, mySpinach has grown to host some diverse content.
Some of the virtual websites that call the server home includes the Coober
Pedy Community Radio (www.dustyradio.org), net theory and research group
Fibreculture (www.fibreculture.org), the environmentally aware dance party
group (www.tranceplant.org), an independent newspaper (thepaper.org.au) the
living archive of public trouble-making and street creativity
(www.cleansurface.org), an exploration of community media in the Asia-Pacific
(www.smallvoices.org) and a space for websites of Aboriginal & Islander
people and their friends (www.kooriweb.org). And it hosts some activist
campaign projects such as the Woomera protest
(www.woomera2002.antimedia.net).

More sites are indexed at www.myspinach.org

There are over 40 virtual domains (full websites) on mySpinach and many of
those domains sub-host smaller sites. According to Webalizer log file
analysis, on a monthly basis, mySpinach web content is accessed by over
76,000 visitors, generating more than 1.2 million hits, and the lists provide
regular discussion and announcements to over 700 active users. The mySpinach
server also provides email addresses for users – and currently there's over
50 individuals and groups making use of email and webmail. The server is
performing under capacity. It could easily host about 3 to 4 times as much as
it currently does.

Though the mySpinach server was originally established to provide spaces for
projects that may have difficulty finding a home,  the most significant
threat at the moment is not the possibility of content censorship, but rather
the financial cost of bandwidth. Unfortunately in Australia, bandwidth is not
cheap. The mySpinach server is in a catch-22. The more content it hosts and
the popular it gets, the higher the bandwidth costs involved.

Virtual Artists provides us with one of the best deals in Australia – so its
not really possible to shop around in the domestic market. Therefore, one of
the solutions to our problem is to relocate our server to the US, where
bandwidth costs are significantly less. But mySpinach is not interested in
this 'sweatshop' strategy. Rather, I feel that it is important to host the
content in Australia – not for any nationalistic reason – but rather because
it is important to create spaces where we live where we can afford to host
high-demand content. Virtual Artists is not a large corporation – and
mySpinach would rather be connected with a friendly business here in
Australia than an anonymous and indiscriminate server farm in the US.

The strategy that I am interested in exploring to fund the mySpinach server is
a combination of a voluntary user-pays system and a careful sponsorship plan.
The volunteer user-pays system has been adopted by some of the users and
around 30% of  the current mySpinach costs are being covered through that
process. Much of the content on the server is from groups and collectives who
operate on zero-budgets, and will not be able to make a financial
contribution. So far, a subsidization strategy has been in place. I have been
fortunate enough to have obtained a couple of grants from Cinemedia for an
electronic art project – and effectively, the component of the grant
allocated to me is being used to fund mySpinach. But this grant has now come
to an end – and during 2003, the user-pays system and the sponsorship plan
needs to be implemented in a more complete way.

Sponsorship is the other strategy that we will explore during 2003. There is
content mySpinach hosts that attracts specific audiences. For example, some
of the art and culture content attracts a large audience interested in
graffiti and street art. There are many organisations that would like to
expose their messages to this kind of audience. Of course, I am not talking
about corporations such as Coke and Nike (who would probably love to be
connected with mySpinach) – but rather creative design faculties and
government funding bodies may be interested in sponsoring content that
engages with audience. There are many other examples of sponsorship plans –
but I am very aware that we need to proceed with caution. If external
sponsors ever influence the content on mySpinach, then that is when the
mySpinach project dies.

Finally, it is important to stress that mySpinach is not a provider of
services to the general public. Rather, it only wants to work with particular
types of network groups and individuals.  Like any machine, like any
community, it needs looking after and mySpinach is operated on a professional
level whilst maintaining its independence.

How long mySpinach lasts will depending on the sustainable strategies it is
beginning to implement. Let's see what happens!

Comments, feedback and advice always appreciated :)