Paul D. Miller on Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:03:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" andEthnomathematics

Hey rana, sigh... Greg - I'm talking about stuff like what Lawrence
Lessig would call "artificial scarcity" or what NAS would call
"ILLmatic" - i.e. systems that control, configure, and ultimately
absorb the kind of "free imagination" that Debord was relating in his
"Society of the Spectacle." It seems pretty clear, but hey, this is
Nettime and that means I'll spell it out... In a world where values
are relative, the uniform language of advertising creates pattern
recognition across geographic boundaries (thus the reference to
Gibson's new novel, and it's intriguing involution of advertising...
think rhizomatic...), but yeah, when this stuff is part and parcel of
the basic way visual information flows in an information economy.
Advertising just bypasses the normal boundaries that slow down
information as it passes from one culture to another, you know, kind
of like when the immune system is bypassed by various viruses...
"viral marketing" Norman Mailer's "Advertising for Myself," dude...
it's the taste of now. Carnival is about when you're in a theater of
highly structured roles being transformed by their environment, check
in with Brazil, or Jamaica etc etc Or even parts of Italy, France,
Spain etc etc the scenario is about lifestyle become pattern... it's
that post-catholic thing..,. the protestant scene digs the gutenberg
galaxy, but can't flow with the intergalactic funk of the
meta-tron... there's no "surfeit of imagination" here just
transformation of ritual process... Bakhtin meets Grand Master Flash
meets Linus Torvalds... dig? check the coordinates on the autopilot,
download the map, it's a psychogeography of a vanished world, a
krushed groove...

I mentioned steganography, ciphaz, and a whole bunch of other
stuff... so many people have written about identity and whatnot
on-line, the thing I'm pointing out is when that stuff migrates
off-line, and comes back as a kind of constant, timeless carnival -
in a world post the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, history is a
carnival-o-meanings (that's about the only thing thatI can think of
as real when I see Bush on TV), a pageant without center, save for
the illusion of what was once the United States before it caught up
with Russia and just decided to get rid of the burden of goverance
and just let the oligarch's do their thing... there's a great video
remix of Bush's state of the union speech at www.fuckitall.com/bsh

that gives you  a surface idea of the "culture jammer" scenario (not
the dumb Mark Dery resonance, but more like 2manydj's or the gurella
news network's remix of Emminem's song "White America", or Trent Lott
saying those dumb comments about the 1948 states rights elections -
all are mistakes, fractures in the perceptual terrain - remixes).

pattern recogntion, uncut funk - the new streets have spoken - and
its in code.... dig the cipha, check the flow.I guess it's like
Ishmael Reed would say, mumbo jumbo become jumbo mumbo - the mumbo
become extra-large...
think out-side the box, join the revolution choose adifferent
brand... wander the arcades of a dofferent era in wonder at the
complexity of itall. Press "play."  Enjoy adifferent mathematics of
the new world out of time... download into a different cipha... the
people are restive in the heart of darkness... the 4th world has
artists of the floating world... it's a conflict of interest from a
failed client state, a "material breach" of a voided contract...
snactions from the 5th column decreeing null and void all previous
illusions.

pax,

Paul

>DJ Spooky - WHAT are you talking about???
>
>  >Gibson understands ADVERTISING as a kind of
>  > Situationist
>  > detournement
>
>  > detournement has become the global carnival of NOW.
>
>(I'm sitting here with a scowl, lookin like "Tricky"
>Dick Cheney trying to take a dump)
>
>"NOW" is all vended, Spooky (and at a very arbitary
>market value)...
>
>If you've read Thomas Frank (I'm assuming you have),
>but didn't appreciate him on the first go-round--then
>crack him back open!
>
>Advertising works to reify false value--nothing more.
>
>The "dÈtournable bloc" is co-extensive with the sum of
>all ranging, grassy corporate parks; and is integral
>with corporate policy and corporate
>lingo...Advertising dÈtournement devolves to the Taco
>Bell chihuahua selling Geico insurance.
>
>"...leaving the imbeciles to their slavish reference
>to 'citations.'" sez the User's Guide to DÈtournement;
>but the PRACTICE - or, at least, simulation - of
>dÈtournement in advertising (vending n'importe quoi)
>is all archly allusive, all deafening resonant
>feedback of savvy, without caesura in which to nest
>CRITICAL REFLECTION...
>
>"It is the most distant dÈtourned element which
>contributes most sharply to the overall impression..."
>sez the User's Guide; but if the metastatic, colonial
>forces of the market have surveyed & assessed every
>last corner of the Territories - urban to shitheel -
>whence the force of the dÈtourne, Spooky?
>
>Coke & a smile,
>
>- Greg Little

>#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
>#  more info: majordomo@bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
>#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@bbs.thing.net

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Office Mailing Address:

Subliminal Kid Inc.
101 W. 23rd St. #2463
New York, NY 10011