adam on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:48:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Should Open SOurce Developers help the US prepare forWar..???!

this is a really interesting idea, its seems to me somehow similar to
the 'no hate language' clause that many apply informally to limiting
freedom of speech...

a 'not for military use' clause as part of the GPL?

hmmm...a double edged sword....

adam

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, . __ . wrote:

> The idea is somehow absurd... but in the end it is open source, which
> means that anybody should be allowed to use it... this is an important
> regulative process for "official" power and helps keep the balance... even
> if I can understand the problems with cryptographic software, like with
> PGP, as pointed out in the article...
>
> But in the end, if we abolish all the rights which are the fundament of
> democracy, especially the privacy laws, then the terrorists would have won
> anyway...
>
> What do you think?!
>
> Cheers,

> ****
>
> http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/02/25/195228.shtml?tid=4
>
> - By <http://roblimo.com>Robin 'Roblimo' Miller -
>
> This article is based on an IRC interview with Anthony L. Awtrey, vice
> president of <http://idealcorp.com/>I.D.E.A.L. Technology, who has worked
> on some of the (Open Source-based) simulation software used to train
> <http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/uh-60.htm>Blackhawk helicopter
> pilots, along with other projects that help the U.S. military prepare for
> Iraq and <http://www.army.mil/vision/index.html>future combat missions.
> Some Linux and Free/Open Source developers
> <http://www.student.wau.nl/~olivier/antiwar/>may not support current U.S.
> military goals in the Middle East, but Awtrey does -- and for very
> personal reasons, as you'll see from his words, which NewsForge has edited
> (very lightly) only for grammar and clarity, not for content.
>
> Please note that Mr. Awtrey is speaking personally here rather than on
> behalf of I.D.E.A.L. Technologies. For more about what he and others have
> done with Open Source for the U.S. Department of Defense, please see this
> link: <http://linuxworld.idealcorp.com/>LinuxWorld Conference & Expo
> Presentation.
>
> NewsForge: Some Free Software and GPL supporters (and many coders) are
> virulently anti-war, and many are specifically against the U.S. invading
> Iraq. One well-regarded project, <http://bluefish.openoffice.nl>Bluefish,
> has a link on its site to an anti-war page. Could the use of popular GPL
> and Free Software packages in what many people overseas view as the "U.S.
> War Machine" cause strife and dissension among Free Software developers?
>
> Awtrey: I think the debate has caused strife and dissension in groups with
> less cohesion than Free Software / Open Source groups have. The chance of
> us avoiding some level of public debate on the issue seems unavoidable.
>
> The war issue has an amazing ability to polarize opinion. There are people
> with good hearts and good intentions on both sides. My wife was born in
> Iraq and her family moved here to escape Saddam and the Baath party 30
> years ago.
>
> This makes the issue especially touchy around here.
>
> She and her family hate Saddam. They have stories that would curl your
> toes about him and his psychopathic offspring Uday. It is not uncommon for
> [...]

Adam Hyde
The Streaming Suitcase

Free as in 'media'

+44 (0)7919 847 023