. __ . on Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:12:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Should Open SOurce Developers help the USprepare for War..???!

I agree... I think this is not only true for real "Hate words" but for a
lot of politically correct terms... like ethnical cleansing or collateral
damage...

I really love these sentences like "Privacy has been a collateral victim of
our war against terrorism"

;-)

And "Ethnical Cleansing" - it seems, like the oppressors would throw roses
at the victims to convince them to go away...

Open Source Software has a special status for me, because the Net has
become the basic tool to get information from the outside and this, for me
is a necessity to be able to judge a situation... if you only hatch CNN or
the Iraqi Counterpart, for example the information is bound to be one-sided
- especially since "Information warfare" has become more and more popular.

It is Open Source Software together with free or even add-supported
software which allows access to the Net.... and therfore has become really
importat to the shaping of opinion in modern democracy... an attempt to
control is also an attempt to further limit alternative options for the
voters, who have in the end to decide...

Cheers,

At 11:47 27.02.03 +0100, adam wrote:

>this is a really interesting idea, its seems to me somehow similar to
>the 'no hate language' clause that many apply informally to limiting
>freedom of speech...
>

>a 'not for military use' clause as part of the GPL?
>
>hmmm...a double edged sword....
>
>adam

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. This Anti-Virus Program seems to be very good, However, I cannot be held responsible for any damages caused by Viruses which evaded the scan.