shren on Sat, 1 Mar 2003 01:57:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> the war has already started

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, calin wrote:

> And it all gets back and turns around the WAR, of course. In private,
> people in the Netherlands are worried and slightly confused. A good
> friend, mother of two, was saying with amazement: "I do not know what I
> believe anymore, really. I understand that all that looks wrong, but
> deep inside I feel that it should just happen, quickly, so that we can
> get over it and go on with our lives. I might be egoistic, but I fear a
> deep recession if all this continues." We all fear the deepening of
> recession in a country that was for too long getting used to a too good
> life, and learn to spend over the income, make debts, get high loans
> etc. On the other hand nobody REALLY believes that once the war is over
> things will get better. Five years is a minimum term that most of the
> people (with more or less expertise) put to the recession to reach its
> bottom.

  I sometimes cannot help but think that a government is like
a car.  Change the oil all you like, check your tires at will,
pay for the regular mantience if you must, but at some point
your car will stop working, of sheer age.

  No one thing fails - for if it did, you could fix that.
Rather, it's a hundred things, wear and tear.  In a government,
these hundred things are obligations, broken programs that
nobody is willing to cancel, military entanglements.  Can
you really undo these things as fast as they build up?  And
if not, what then?  Do you burn out or fade away?