jack gasoline on Mon, 3 Mar 2003 03:53:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] don't go there

Welcome the world's first website with a pre-determined lifespan -- one
that can only survive a hundred hits before it automatically shuts
down.  It's up to the site's visitors to either prolong its life or to
kill it off quickly.

"Don't Go There," a web-based project by artist Jack Gasoline, can be
found at www.jackgasoline.com.  The site's launch time is Wednesday,
March 5th at noon.  The site will slowly fade over the course of the
first 100 visits and then disappear forever.

In addition to his desire to design a website with an organic lifespan,
Gasoline says the project's purpose is political:

"The most effective political act most of us can make is one of
divestiture.  Whether it's not buying an SUV, not paying taxes, or
staying out of environmentally sensitive areas of the world, not doing
something is a more effective political gesture than attending a
protest, emailing a congressman, or going on an eco-tour."

Gasoline hopes visitors will work collectively to prolong the website's
life by visiting www.jackgasoline.com but choosing not to click on a
link to the "don't go there" page.  "I'm hoping it stays up for at least
24 hours. But we'll see.  At the very least, it's an easy thing to give
up for Lent."

For more information emails to jack@jackgasoline.com