nettime_announcer on Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:12:49 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 00.02 [b]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 0 0 . 0 2 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
                                                                         |  b <<
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c

                                                                         - - - -
katasonix <data@katasonix.demon.co.uk> : Ccru: abstract culture swarms   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
   Douglas Schuler <douglas@scn.org> : DIAC-OO CPSR Seattle Conference   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
       Miss A. van Krimpen and M. Allewijn <domail@dosurf.com> : do-tv   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  www.verybusy.org <busy-owner@hgb-leipzig.de> : INTER   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
              Natalie Bookchin <bookchin@calarts.edu> : JENNY MARKETOU   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 Chris Drew <ddrew@21stcentury.net> : ART-ACT Notes 15   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
                              real@xs4all.nl : ~real--->FF00FF remixes   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                    info@e-flux.com : ARTBYTE MAGAZINE   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
Jean-Philippe Halgand <jean-philippe.halgand@aecom.org> : [happy 2000]   | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

Cybernetic culture research unit
http://www.ccru.demon.co.uk
it@ccru.demon.co.uk

Updates:
You can now read all 15 issues of swarms 1-3 of Ccru's seminal journal
ABSTRACT CULTURE from 1996-1998. All copies of these issues are
completely sold out.

http://www.ccru.demon.co.uk/abcult.htm

Featuring:

SWARM 1
1. Nick Land - Meltdown
2. Kodwo Eshun - Motion Capture
3. R.Mackay/M.Fisher - Pomophobia
4. Rohit Lekhi - Futureloop/ Black Bedlam
5. Ccru - Swarmachines

SWARM 2
6. Steve Metcalf - Killing Time/Strife Kolony/NeoFuturism
7. Angus Carlyle - Amortal Kombat/No UFOs
8. Rob Heath & Christina Paouros - Destination 3000 Degrees
9. David Cole - Post-Cybernetic Judicial War
10. Iain Hamilton Grant - Burning AutoPoiOedipus

SWARM 3
11. S.Livingston/L.Parisi/A.Greenspan - Amphibious Maidens
12. Kodwo Eshun - Abducted by Audio (Live)
13. Steve Goodman - Darkcore
14. Tom Epps - The Body of Foucault
15. Switch - Flee Control

Copies of 1999s ABSTRACT CULTURE swarm 4 featuring the first ever
interview with acclaimed geo-linguist, Professor Barker, plus essays by
Ccru, Steve Goodman. . .

Also check the Ccru archive
http://www.ccru.demon.co.uk/archive.htm
* * *
Desiring Seduction by Suzanne Livingstone & Mark Fisher
* * *
Flatlines by Ccru
* * *
Cryptolith by Ccru
* * * * * *
Fei Ch'ien Rinse Out: sino-futurist under-currency by Steve Goodman
* * * * * *
Doom by Simon Biddell
* * * * * *

--
katasonix

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

Shaping the Network Society
The Future of the Public Sphere in Cyberspace

DIAC-00
http://www.scn.org/tech/diac-00

A Directions and Implications of Advanced Computing Symposium
Sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

Call for Abstracts

May 20 - May 23, 2000
Seattle, Washington, USA

Cyberspace may become the dominant medium through which people create
and share information and ideas in the future.  How their conversations
about the environment, culture, leisure, and political decisions, are
conducted and how they are resolved are likely to have major social
implications.  What directions and implications does cyberspace
foretell for community, democracy, education and culture?  Addressing
those questions may be among the most urgent tasks facing humankind
today.

The objective of DIAC-00 is to integrate many perspectives,
conversations, and people from around the world on the topic of public
space in cyberspace:  What is it?  What should it be?  What would we do
with it?  What can we do about it?

While DIAC-00 will present "best practices" and other lessons learned
"from the field" there is an urgent need for theoretical work (or
"condensed practice") as well.  For that reason, DIAC-00 is strongly
encouraging reflective work on strategic and policy levels. There is
enormous energy found at the grassroots level and it is growing. The
big problem today is framing the idea of public space in cyberspace in
a way that engages intellectuals, decision-makers, artists, and
citizens. This can only be done by combining "best practice" stories
with strong provocative conceptualizations of what is happening in our
world and how public cyberspace can play a role.  We need theories,
concepts that can help us discuss, reflect, and take action on these
critical matters.  As an integral part of the DIAC-00 conference social
scientists, engineers, computer scientists, artists, journalists, and
other members of the research community will contribute their thinking
on these pressing issues:

  % Community Informatics
  % Civic Knowledge, Civic Infrastructure
  % New Tools, Applications, Services, and Institutions
  % Theoretical Frameworks
  % Methodological Frameworks
  % Critical Theory
  % Social Economy of the Internet
  % Computers, Work, and Cyberspace
  % New -- and Retooled -- Media
  % Participatory and Community-Centered Design
  % Community Initiatives
  % Public Access and Community Networks
  % Practitioner and Researcher Co-Learning
  % Bridging the Digital Divide
  % Cyberspace Policy -- Social Policy -- Cultural Policy
  % Computer-Supported Community Work
  % Localism and Globalism
  % International Perspectives and Partnerships
  % Networking the Networks
  % Social Movements and Collaborations

DIAC-00 will be a multifaceted event.  This call for abstracts
addresses the research or academic component of the symposium.  There
are other opportunities for participation within this framework.  The
guidelines for workshop proposals will be released soon.

DIAC-00 will be the seventh symposium sponsored by Computer
Professionals for Social Responsibility in the "Directions and
Implications of Advanced Computing" series.  DIAC-00 is intended to
broaden the discussion and awareness about the future of cyberspace
both in terms of topics and in terms of participation.  It is also our
intent to provide visibility to topics and perspectives that are often
neglected by the media.

Each extended abstract should contain a description and outline of the
work, supporting evidence and data, and references.  Abstracts and
papers should be written in English.  All extended abstracts should be
submitted (in plain text only!) electronically to Peter Day
(p.day@btinternet.com).  Abstracts should be fewer than 2,000 words.
Authors should remember that they will be addressing non-academics as
well as academics at this conference and avoid jargon whenever
possible.  Citations should follow the Harvard Citation guidelines.

Academic Program Committee:  Phil Agre (US), Brian Loader (UK), Amy
Bruckman (US), Natasha Bulashova (Russia), Gary Chapman (US), Peter Day
(co-chair; UK), Fiorella de Cindio (Italy), Greg Cole (US), Steve
Cisler (US), Susana Finquelievich (Argentina), Jonathan Grudin (US),
Michael Gurstein (Canada), Toru Ishida (Japan), Peter Mambrey
(Germany), Kate O'Dubhchair (UK), Volkmar Pipek (Germany), Jenny Preece
(US), Lodis Rhodes (US), Scott Robinson (Mexico), Douglas Schuler
(co-chair; US), Lisa Servon (US), Erik Stolterman (Sweden), Peter van
den Besselaar (Netherlands), Murali Venkatesh (US), Ken Young
(Australia).

Important Dates: February 15, 2000 extended abstracts due; March 15,
2000 feedback given to authors; May 1, 2000 revised abstracts due.  May
20 - May 23, 2000  DIAC-00.  The final papers, ready for book /
journal, will be due sometime in summer 2000.  We are planning to
publish all submitted abstracts on our web site.  We are planning to
publish accepted papers in a book or journal.  The academic program
will be thoroughly integrated with the rest of DIAC-00.

We are pleased to be a member of the Global 2000 Virtual Community
Coalition.  The Global 2000 Virtual Community Coalition is a loosely
affiliated group of people, organizations, and events all over the
world who are working together in the year 2000 to help promote
democratic use of communication technology and discourage social
exclusion due to inequitable access to communication.

DIAC-00 is sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility (http://www.cpsr.org) and co-sponsored by the
Association For Community Networks (http://www.afcn.net) and Friends
and Partners (http://www.friends-partners.org). Please contact us if
your organization would like to become a co-sponsor or endorser.
We'd like to thank the Morino Institute for their support.

For more information about the symposium, please see the web site
(http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00) or contact conference organizer Doug
Schuler, douglas@cpsr.org, 206.634.0752.

Call for Workshop Proposals

The objective of DIAC-00 is to integrate many perspectives,
conversations, and people from around the world on the topic of
public space in cyberspace: What is it?  What should it be?  Why
is it important?  What can people, organizations, and governments
do about it?

The conference will feature 20 - 40 workshops on a variety of
important themes.  These workshops will include work being done
in the Puget Sound region as well as that from around the United
States and the world. Although any relevant workshop proposal is
welcome we especially encourage those that address the following
themes.

    % Learning technology basics and network society survival skills
    % Connecting human concerns with communication infrastructure,
      strategy, and policy
    % Building collaborative projects especially across economic,
      political, technological, ideological, age, gender, or racial
      boundaries)
    % Developing new roles for artists, educators, journalists,
      and others
    % Designing appropriate public policy at local, regional, national
      and global levels

We encourage proposals which

    % Encourage participation within the workshop context
    % Have an orientation towards sustained and effective action
    % Integrate theory and practice
    % Explore multiple viewpoints
    % Are clear and jargon-free (as much as possible)
    % Foster collaboration
    % Appeal to a variety of people

Workshop time slots are 1 1/2 hours each.  Longer workshops can use
multiple slots.

Please see http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac/workshop.htm for the list of
workshops that were convened at "Community Space and Cyberspace", the
DIAC-97 symposium.  Proposals must be received by March 1, 2000.
Decisions will be made by April 1, 2000  Please send your proposals in
as soon as they are ready, as some decisions will be made earlier.
Also, please let us know if you need an earlier decision from us in
able to facilitate your travel arrangements.

Each workshop should contain the following information.

    Name of Workshop:
    Workshop convenor name(s):
    Organizational Affiliation (or "none"):
    Telephone:
    E-mail:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip code or other postal code:
    Country:
    Purpose (and/or desired outcomes) of workshop:
    Briefly describe the workshop activities (workshop plan):
    What results and/or deliverables do you intend to produce?
    Primary audience or audiences for this workshop:
    How many people is this workshop designed for?
    What are your audio-visual and computer/network needs? (*)
    List any special concerns or questions (*)
    Convenor(s) biography (Brief)

(*) Although we will do our best to meet your needs, we can't
guarantee that we'll be able to do so.  We will contact you if
there are any questions about meeting technological or other special
needs.

Please send workshop proposal to: Aki Namioka, DIAC-00 Workshop Chair;
CPSR/Seattle; 1003 N. Motor Pl., Seattle, WA  98103, USA.  Or,
electronically, to diac-00-workshops@scn.org.   Electronic
submissions must be PLAIN TEXT.  Encoded or attached documents
will be returned to proposer.

Due to budget restraints, unless otherwise noted, workshop convenors do
not receive complimentary registration and must register for the
conference in order to attend.  Some low-income scholarships will be
available, however.

The general DIAC-00 announcement will be released in January, 2000.  A
call for abstracts for research oriented submissions has already been
released.  Please see the (currently under construction)  web site
(http://www.scn.org/cpsr/diac-00) for additional information.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

We would like to invite everyone to take part in the first ever
international web conference about television.

It's called do-tv, a new project from do.

do is a brand under development of communication agency KesselsKramer in
Amsterdam. It was invented in direct retaliation to most other brands which
first come up with a product or service, then after a while, their brand
identity is developed.

do, then, was born with a very distinct brand identity, and no fixed
products or services. It can grow depending on the input of other people who
want to 'do.' In the past these people were called consumers - now they can,
if they wish, be part of do. do is a brand that will react to your ideas and
thinking, and is flexible enough to involve lots of different people,
worldwide.

The aim of do-tv is to reach as many different kinds of people around the
world and involve them in the do discussion.

The subject of do-tv is: Television.

The do-tv discussion will only be active for 24 hours on 2 February 2000.

The address is: www.do-tv.com (site is already on air, please check)

The results of this conference/debate/interactive party will be printed in a
book and published by do, with all contributors to the do-tv site as one of
the many authors.

do-tv will take place virtually, to allow a worldwide input, but we will
also have a real 'address'. A do-tv chatroom at the International
Filmfestival in Rotterdam. Guests from the Festival can chat live with
experts at the other side of the planet.

do-tv will get a link from the Festival site and be mentioned in the
programmes and press release from the Festival.

Some of the content of the do-tv website will be written beforehand by
experts from all over the world.

Herefor we would like to invite you to contribute.

How will it work?

If you are interested, which we do hope, than we will supply you the content
of the different channels of do-tv and check with you on what subject you
would like to give a statement.
This statement will be viewed on the Forum-part of the site.

On the day itself, 2/2/00, we would like to ask you to be 'live' in the
chatroom of that specific Forum. So that people from all over the world can
discuss your statement with you.

We hope that you don't want to miss this unique event and will tune in.

Could you please let us know, as soon as possible, if you are interested in
taking part?

With best regards,

Miss A. van Krimpen and M. Allewijn
do'er
E: domail@dosurf.com

Joanna van der Zanden
KesselsKramer
P.O. box 10007
1001 EA Amsterdam
T: 0031 20 530 10 60
F: 0031 20 530 10 61
M: 0031 6 24119303
E: mom@kesselskramer.nl

What is do? A brief hello.

do is an ever-changing brand that depends on what you do.

do was first developed 2 years ago. It was invented in direct retaliation to
most other brands which first come up with a product or service, then after
a while, their brand identity is developed.

do, then, was born with a very distinct brand identity, and no fixed
products or services. It can grow depending on the input of other people who
want to 'do.' In the past these people were called consumers - now they can,
if they wish, be part of do. do is a brand that will react to your ideas and
thinking, and is flexible enough to involve lots of different people,
worldwide.
We aim to get all kinds of people, from designers, scientist, philosophers
to consumers together to build the do brand.

So far, do has published two books about do, and many other books under do
publishing (for example, a series of short stories and a photography book
about the men who trade roses and polaroids for money in the bars of
Amsterdam.)

do also has its own website, an experimental product called the do shirt,
and has built up a large database of international contacts through magazine
articles and TV interviews.
There is much more in the do pipeline: for example, a partnership with
'droog design' to make a new line of products under the do philosophy.

Now it is time for the next stage of do.

do TV

do TV will be the third book in the do series. However, instead of starting
with a traditional book, the idea is to create a virtual worldwide
conference.

As the name suggests, this will be on the subject of Television, the medium
of the past, the present and the future?

do TV takes place at www.do-tv.com, on the date of 2nd February 2000. It
will last for 24 hours.

This is a chance to gather together with viewers, broadcasters, producers,
directors, soap opera addicts and culture jammers from around the world to
talk argue, and play.

The aim is to reach as many different kinds of people around the world and
involve them in the do discussion.

The results of this conference/debate/interactive party will be printed in a
book and published by do, with all contributors to the do-tv site as one of
the many authors.

do TV will take place virtually, to allow a worldwide input, but we will
also have a real 'address'. A do-tv chatroom at the International
Filmfestival in Rotterdam. Guests from the Festival can chat life with
experts at the other side of the planet.

do-tv will get a link from the Festival site and be mentioned in the
programmes and press release from the Festival.

do TV, or rather, www.do-tv.com, will have 9 channels each broadcasting for
24hours. All channels will show previews before the do tv day, however. Each
channel will cover a different aspect of TV, from entertainment to news. A
channel will also cover the relation of film to television. When you switch
onto a channel, you will be presented with different programmes or
discussions or games or experiments that you can participate in or evolve.

Each programme should have a clearly defined subject matter. This subject
matter will be dictated by a) The introduction text/question/statement b)
Guest Speakers*
It will be a platform to bring together tv experts, viewers, producers,
directors, politicians, child psychologists and bus drivers from around the
world.

Throughout the 24 hours, all visitors can contribute to these programmes of
events/discussions and eventually shape the outcome of all topics of
discussion.
Aside from the tv channels there will be a do tv guide telling visitors of
upcoming events, guest speakers, and special moments throughout the day.
There will also be fun stuff, much of which can be accumulated on the do
channel.

Over the page, the 9 channels as they stand now, and some rough topics that
can be discussed:-

*Guest speakers can contribute by supplying a short essay on a certain
statement beforehand. This essay will be shown in the forum part of the
site. And visitors can react on their statement in the Forum by writing
their own essay. But the Guest speaker can also be 'live' in the chat room
of that forum (for example for one hour), so that visitors can get an
immediate reaction and there will be a discussion.
These chat rooms will be strictly moderated by a person who will lead the
conversations and throw out 'hoax-chatters.'
Besides guest speakers in the Forum, we will also ask 'guest chatters'.
Experts who will 'live' chatting in one of the chat rooms of the Channels.

THE CHANNELS

1)
The Social Channel

This channel will form discussions and opinions on the social and cultural
impact of television, good and bad.
Does your TV replace you as a mother? Find out how tv affects family life in
Mozambique. How does it affect you socially if you live in the country or in
the city? How can we use TV in a better way to bring people closer together:
we ask the experts. How can we use TV to strengthen rather than weaken
cultures? Make your own views heard on the 24 hour Social Channel.

2)
The Entertainment Channel

The channel that talks about soap operas, game shows, sports, music: they
all make our TV the biggest form of entertainment in the world. Your own
private theatre. Would tv be a better place without commercial messages?
Learn about the gameshows watched by people in Brazil. Talk with someone who
has appeared on a gameshow as a contestant. Discuss your soap opera opinions
with a producer of one of the world's biggest soap opera imports. Link up
with soap opera fan bases. Find out how sports programmes will change in the
future. And much more, only on 2nd February from 8am (ECT).

3)
The World Channel

Television is an open window to the world outside. Has your world grown or
shrunk through TV? Talk with a CNN correspondent who covered the Gulf War,
arguably the first ever global televised war. Does your local global tv
station have too much power? Where does the power rest now - with
politicians or TV stations? What is the future for local independent tv
stations? We pitch a local TV producer against a global tv producer to find
out their views.
How can you and do help make the world a better place through the TV? Your
opinion is the most important opinion in the world.....only on .....The
World Channel @ www.do-tv.com. Tune In!

4)
The Education Channel

In Tokyo, it's common for mothers to buy series of educational VHS tapes for
children to learn about life. Is this the way forward? Is TV the ultimate
surrogate mother?
Do we learn about real life or fantasy through TV? Could this industry be
promoted by non-profit organisations (UNICEF TV?) We ask someone from the
National Geographic Channel if they think it's as educational as going to
the zoo.
We talk with mothers and teachers and children and put this question to
you - were you educated by your TV, or did it make you as dumb as mud? How
would you make TV more educational? Get an A+ by switching onto the
Education Channel.

5)
The Future Channel

Talk technology on the Future Channel. What is digital tv? Or WebTV? What
can it give to me? Will I have the power? Listen to the experts as they give
a valuable insight into the future of your television set. What ideas can we
bring to this technology to make TV a more positive tool? Will there be a
shopping Channel: buy goods from all over the world and from just around the
corner while watching television. Scientists, Cyber-Futurologists and you
can all come together on the Future Channel. Don't touch that dial!

6)
The News Channel

Talk politics business and ethics in a down to earth way. Cut through the
red tape and the bureaucracy. The News Channel will bring you what you want,
up to the minute. Does TV bring reality closer to you or does it manipulate
facts. Can TV avoid giving an opinion? Talk with those who really know the
truth (or so they say) and find out the facts about the News you see on your
TV screens with viewers in Bosnia, China, Northern Ireland and somewhere
near you?

7)
The Brand Channel

Can a brand own a TV-channel? Do they already? Will we watch Benetton-tv or
Ebay-tv with live-auctions? Discussions to take place on this subject with
the help of brand managers from around the world, and views of those for or
against brands having a more important role in TV.

8)
The Movie Channel

Cinema lived then TV came along, then cinema died, and soon.....was reborn.
There is sometimes an uneasy relationship between the 2 mediums. Can they
survive side by side, or will there be an all out war?
Does TV ruin the film through format and commercials and censorship?
Or are there ways in which the small screen can help the silver screen
develop and thrive?
Become a player in the movie scene, and discuss with those in the know. Hold
a virtual movie meeting with the influentials from the International Film
Festival in Rotterdam and ask them the questions you always wanted to ask.

9)
The do channel

The Non-Commercial Break. Make your own tv, care of do. Join in with the
statistics and give do a worldwide view. Make your own soap opera. Watch the
world go by on the do webtv cams. Visit the links. You are in control of the
do channel....the place where anything can happen - if you make it happen.
So do depends on what you do!

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

INTER: Interactivity, Internet and Interference with intermedia art

curated by Prof. Dieter Daniels and Joachim Blank
11.01.-18.1.2000

INTER
theoretic reflexion of modern times at www.verybusy.org publication
art-icles area.

The center for hardwired arts //www.verybusy.org will publish theoretic
reflexion of modern times concering textmaterial about  "interactivity"
terms in the surrounding aswell as the core way, mid of january. The texts
are written by the point of view of students at the academy for visual arts
(Leipzig/Germany) that are more or less influenced by the consequence of
art in the new age.

Selection of Terms:
Interactivity - who is who ? (concering: who interacts Man or Machine /
Question of dividing sharpness)
System and Controlling     (concering: interfaces, open and closed system
architecture)
Contexts and Effects         (concering: the effects on culture,
Psychology, ideological and social context)

Almost all text will be published in german language, and can be discussed
with the artists and authors themselves at the verybusy.org disussion area.

In hope of intresst,
sincerely
spiv (verybusy staff)

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

<net.net.net> California Institute of the Arts and The Museum of
Contemporary Art in Los Angeles present Jenny Marketou on Sunday
January 16, at 8:00 PM

The presentation entitled "Information Sublime" is free to the
public and will be in the MOCA Ahmanson Auditorium.

Jenny Marketou
is a Greek multimedia artist who lives between New
York City and Athens, Greece. She works with telepresent
environments and networking technologies, translocal performance
and video and computer installations. Marketou teaches at Cooper
Union School of Art, New York City. Recent exhibitions include
the Sao Paulo Biennial, the Queens Museum of Art, and Carnegie
Center For the Arts.
http://smellbytes.banff.org

<net.net.net> is a lecture series featuring net artists, net
activists and net collectives from around the world. The series,
which continues through May 2000, brings together for the first
time in the United States artists and activists known throughout
the world for their low tech and interventionist strategies of
experimental and radical cultural production, collaboration, and
critique on and off the Internet.

The series is a collaborative effort between the CalArts
Programs in Photography in the School of Art and Integrated Media
at MOCA.

For further information please call 323-644-1762  or send email
to bookchin@calarts.edu
http://calarts.edu/~ntntnt

The event is free and open to the public.

</net.net.net>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

ART-ACT 15 -- Newsletter of the "Anti-Racist T-shirt Art Contest Tour"

Check out ART-ACT's latest submission - Kaminelana Cheatem t-shirt art
submission "Education" at
http://www.art-teez.org/artists/kami2.htm

Another step is taken in ART-ACT's history. An old acquaintance, who has
followed our struggles for over ten years, from the time we built our first
community art gallery, became executive director of ARC Gallery. ARC has
built its reputation in the Chicago art scene as a woman's cooperative
gallery for 25 years. A sculptor paid $600 to rent gallery space and pulled
back too late to be refunded his money. The exhibit space was offered to
the Uptown Multi-Cultural Art Center to show. Our show "Art of the T-shirt
to ART-ACT - a Preview" is going up at this moment.

A press release is in the mail. In a week we
have pulled together eight experienced artists who represent a real sampling
of the diversity of artists who have exhibited in the "Art of the T-shirt"
over the past decade.  Tim Jackson - African American editorial cartoonist -
self published author and webmaster of Creative License Studio at
www.clstoons.com. Grace Lai, Chinese American On-Site Artist, who has
painted, in pen & ink and water color wash, workers building Chicago's
skyscrapers for over a decade. She has art hanging in offices around
Chicago.

Monica Brown and Anne Pyterek, who approach womanhood and cultural issues in
their artwork from different directions and purposes. Anne is German/Polish
American, and Monica is African-American. Isz who has shown continuously
across the U.S. with a style grown from a 60's birthright into the present
day. He is German American raised in Peoria. His Grandfather is from
Chicago. Robert Wapahi - artist in residence at the Chicago American Indian
Center -
whose soft oils and scribble pen & ink designs have replaced the
plaster at this important cultural center. He is Lakota Santee. He is
prolific and modest and long over due. And last - myself showing
serigraphic prints on t-shirts. My ancestors are from Ireland, England,
Poland and Scotland. These are our art on the wall exhibitors.

These artists are joined by six artists from our "Screen Print Workshop for
Artists. They are Louis Hutchins, Leonard White, Kaminelana Cheatem, Sunjay,
Manuel Salazar, Chad Eisner, and Darryl John White. Our comment mailers
showcase the art of other ART-ACT artists. We have it going on in just two
weeks! That is because we have worked at it for ten years!!! Jam.

What issues will we find to discuss. That will be the focus of our next
ART-ACT Notes. Interaction and jump-starting our comments section on our
site will be stressed at this
show.

Our goals for this show are to demonstrate the following:

a) The variety of the "Art of the T-shirt" artists.

b) The depth of the artists who have supported it over the years because in
this exhibit artists are showing their other art (not on t-shirts) for the
first time with their t-shirt art work.

c) The many of the black & white works that are in the ART-ACT contest at
this moment.

ART-ACT COMMENTS
We have designed this show to boost the comment discussion below each
on-line image. Getting people to feel comfortable discussing racism is
difficult. We are distributing interactive mailers with one of the ART-ACT
images on one side and space for comments on the other. They fold into
mailers. One at a time we will invite people to make comments. Our press
mailing brags about building an interactive on-line exhibit that is
international and which invites the public to counter hate with their
discussion. Step by step we are exploring a new road - feeling our way.

EXHIBIT INFROMATION  AT    http://www.art-teez.org/events.htm

Help build an Internet Community against Racism. Volunteer one hour a
week.

To read about the HELP we need - Click
http://www.art-teez.org/help_ara.htm

Speak out  and win a free t-shirt from our "Screen Print Workshop for
Artists." A free t-shirt to the twenty-first commentator on
artwork in our ART-ACT exhibit. Just click on COMMENTS below any image in
ART-ACT and send us your thoughts.

Thanks for reading of us as we grow.

Chris Drew       <mailto:umcac@art-teez.org>
Uptown Multi-Cultural Art Center
http://www.art-teez.org   We dress Chicago and the
Internet in t-shirt art.  Come get some! 773/561-7676

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

~real--->FF00FF remixes
date: 07/01/2000
url: http://www.xs4all.nl/~real/FF00FF
<">famous<"> net.art/sound pieces remixed
infoslut - coltrane [blank-A remix]
jodi - %20-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-..._........ [pure %100 remix]
turux - block 4 -4 [ohx remix// fragment]
lfoundation - 6.521.087.401 [purplepain remix]
antirom - steel drum breakdown [b/rundy remix]
kalx - voltaic [.33 ambient remix]
antiorp - unitiztress [maszakR_4x remix]

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

   ARTBYTE MAGAZINE

   Winner: 1999 Folio Gold Editorial Excellence Award
   Winner: 1998 Ozzie Award: Best Design - New Magazine
   "A smartly produced new magazine..." ---The New York Times

   ARTBYTE features the latest in digital design, music, art, film, animation,
   architecture, and lifestyle for those seeking the ideas and look of the
   future.  You won't find anything like it anywhere else.

   Special holiday subscription offer valid through January 15, 2000.  For more
   info, please visit http://www.artbyte.com

  http://www.e-flux.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear friends and colleagues

A new year such as this won't be at its best without a large move of friendship
and leadership.
Joy and delights for  year 2000 !!

Missed the MilleniumFlower events of december ?
Worry not and discover right now our attractive and informative services at
http://www.pavu.com/indexus.html!!

- // Wanna display a copyGNou on your homepage and therefore garantee a secure
and extended reserve for the GNou ?
Wanna support, pass around "the Copyright The Copyleft World Campaign" and
copyright LE GNou ?
it's here at  http://www.pavu.com/pavuCS/copyGNou/indexus.html

- // Want to choose your next Elliott with the Elliott IO, and infospam France's
most famous net.art mailing-list ?
it's here at http://www.pavu.com/iapu/catalogue

- // Want to discover the whole Elliott range ?
it's here at here at http://www.pavu.com/iapu/gammeelliottus.htm

- // Want to promote yourself with pavuCS' Campaigns One Shoot ?
it's here at http://www.pavu.com/pavuCS/indexus.html

More innovative services and products ? It's still here at
http://pavu.com/indexus.html!!

Want year 2000 to last 2000 years : PLINE IN!!
with our best wishes to you all,

for pavu.com :
jean-philippe halgand - pavu EXECUTIVE
http://pavu.com