Nadi on Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:29:11 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Burma (2x)

1............ Subject: ASEAN
2............ Subject: Burmese Culture: Part I

From: Nadi@hotvoice.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:55:08 -0500 (EST)
To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: ASEAN

Editorial & Opinion
Southeast Asia searching for solutions
BY DON PATHAN
The Nation - 28 December 99

___________________________

Southeast Asia's economy may have ended the year on a positive note but
there are still long-term security and political challenges to overcome,
writes Don Pathan of The Nation .

In Thailand, the two-year old crisis was a blessing in disguise. Sins of
the past have been met with calls for transparency, accountability and good
governance from the military, as well as the public and private sectors.
The country's fiscal crisis has taken its toll on just about every military
procurement project, thus ending years of frivolous spending and shopping
sprees for military hardware that critics said might or might not enhance
country's overall defence capability. A frigate without a minesweeper is a
useless frigate, indeed.

Moreover, the move towards reforming the armed forces is well on the way
and a new batch of officers is being trained to command units that are
leaner, meaner and quicker. A new defence mandate aimed at uniting all
forces under one tactical command is also in the pipeline.

Army Chief Gen Surayudh Chulanont has kept his promise to take the military
out of politics and educate the men to make them ''professional soldiers''.
But the making of a respected institution means giving up scores of radio
stations, as well as a number of army-owned enterprises. The idea of
putting their future in the hands of civilians might not sit well with many
of the top brass. Nevertheless, all are agreed that there is no turning
back. This year also saw the Thai military's ego get a big boost with the
departure of about 1,850 troops to East Timor on a peacekeeping mission.
Thailand was made second in command after Australia in a multinational
peacekeeping operation in the war-torn island nation.

In Indonesia, the world was brutally jolted when its fourth most populous
nation was brought to the brink of collapse. A near-blind Muslim cleric
with great vision for diplomacy and good governance stepped into the
political arena and restored a sense of hope. Abdularahman Wahid is an
Indonesian president extraordinaire. Besides East Timor, which had drifted
violently towards independence, Indonesia is currently witnessing calls for
separation and autonomy in other parts of its territory. The country's
military is keeping a low profile as it licks its wounds from the violence
in East Timor. But though it may be down, no one is counting it out.

*Trouble-plagued Burma* got a wake-up call when five armed dissidents
stormed the country's embassy in Bangkok, taking diplomats and foreigners
hostage at gunpoint and stating their grievances to a world that doesn't
seem to be listening. In spite of the fact that the 25-hour crisis ended
peacefully with no bloodshed, the aftermath resulted in a drastic downturn
in Thai-Burmese relations. It was also a big blow for the so-called Asean
solidarity. Meanwhile, the Rangoon government's offensive against the
ethnic rebel armies is reportedly moving into full swing and more refugees
are expected to flood over the border into Thailand in the coming days.
Talk of Tokyo aiding Rangoon financially in return for economic reform may
not go down too well with Burmese dissident groups but many are taking
silence from Washington as a tacit sign of approval. After all, say
Bangkok-based diplomats, neither Washington nor Tokyo would like to see
Rangoon drift further into the hands of Beijing. Nevertheless, it remains
to be seen if the new American administration will carry the ''free Burma''
torch of Secretary of State Madeline Albright, sometime referred to as the
''Burma Desk Officer''. Burmese dissidents say Washington's rhetoric
against Rangoon is likely to fade away with Albright's departure as the
next administration takes over after the American presidential election
next year.

Land-locked Laos was brutally jolted after a group of students, disgusted
at the way things are going -- or perhaps at the way things aren't going --
were reportedly planning to stage a public protest. Vientiane was
dumbstruck by the unprecedented incident because never before had anybody
dared to question the Communist rule. The move was stopped before it got
off the ground but those in the know said the issue is far from over. Along
the Thai-Malay border, the threats of the old days have faded with more
cross-border links between ethnic Malays. Thai Muslims in the South are
delighted at the outcome of the recent general election in Malaysia that
resulted in the expansion of the Islamic party, PAS, in Malaysia's northern
states. On the Thai side of the border, community and religious leaders say
Bangkok has to get over the old fear of armed separatists and look to PAS
in terms of what it has to offer.

Outspoken Malaysian Prime Minister Mahatir Mohammad called on the region to
form its own security forum but did not elaborate on the nature of the
proposed body or how it would be any different from the half-hearted Asean
Regional Forum, often referred to as a ''talk shop''. Meanwhile, future
joint military exercises between the US and the Philippines aimed at
turning the bilateral tie into equal partnership will replace the outdated
security arrangement. The Philippines is supposed to feel that it's on an
equal footing with the American military but it is well understood that the
bilateral defence agreements between the US and a number of countries in
the region will continue to be the main security arrangement for some time
to come.

In Cambodia, the collapse of Khmer Rouge has enabled the government to cut
back on military spending. But a planned tribunal to try former KR leaders
could very well turn out to be a mockery of justice. If a compromise
between the western countries and Cambodia cannot be reached, Phnom Penh
ties with the international community could go into a tailspin again. Talk
of upgrading the Asean Regional Forum from a talk-shop on ''confidence
building measure'' to an organisation with teeth capable of managing
conflicts received a boost at the 1999 ministerial meeting in Singapore.
However, Asean's call for a ''code of conduct'' in the South China Sea for
countries engaged in territorial disputes doesn't seem to have a chance of
survival unless common ground can be found between Beijing and other
claimants. Meanwhile, Beijing continues to play hardball with its
neighbouring countries, particularly those with overlapping claims,
refusing to negotiate with them in a multinational forum. Instead, the
Chinese are calling on these countries to engage them in a bilateral
setting. To deal with hot issues that may pop up unexpectedly, Asean has
proposed setting up a ''troika'' similar to the three member ad-hoc
committee that helped end the dispute between the two warring Cambodian
factions two years ago.

It is believed that its small size would help it respond more quickly than
Asean could acting as a whole. The idea is still floating in the air,
however, and more debates will come up in the near future. All in all,
Southeast Asia in 1999 was shaped by events that called for political
changes and questioned the old social and political models that have
sustained decades of economic growth. If the trend continues, such concepts
as ''Asian values'' or ''Asean ways'' may no longer be a thing of the past.
Until then, nations in the region will continue to do more soul-searching
in order to find ways to meet the challenges of the future in a sustainable
manner.

Free Global voice.fax.e-mail mailbox at http://www.hotvoice.com