nettime's digestive system on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:24:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> AOL loves TIMEWARNER (2x)

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:58:23 +0200 (WET)
From: Michael Dahan <msdahan@mscc.huji.ac.il>
To: "K.Patelis" <cop02kp@gold.ac.uk>
cc: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: Re: <nettime> AOL loves TIMEWARNER

I could not agree more with Korinna. The merger is a nightmare for the
future of the Internet. Now large conglomerates will be controlling not
only infrastructure, but content as well. Many of the fears that Karina
expressed in her posting on the Political Economy of the Internet are
coming true... And this merger is one giant step in that direction. In
Israel there are a great deal of problems due to media concentration in
the hands of a few conglomerates, more so than in the US and Europe., and
I experience the fresults of such concentration every day. If
you like CNN defining world news by video clip, then get used to time
warner and AOL defining the surfing experience for over 54%(!) of the
US...

Michael Dahan
Dept. of Political Science
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
<msdahan@mscc.huji.ac.il>

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, K.Patelis wrote:

> AOL and Time Warner
<....>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"