nettime's_roving_reporter on Tue, 18 Jan 2000 06:51:11 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Davos Bans Demonstration Jan 29

Damage Linked to Swiss Economy Forum

Sunday January 16, 2000  12:50 pm

CHUR, Switzerland (AP) - Windows at a conference center in the ski resort
of Davos were damaged in an overnight attack apparently aimed at an annual
gathering of world government and business leaders being held later this
month, police said Sunday.

The minor damage, which appeared to be caused by explosives, was discovered
late Saturday night, Graubuenden canton (state) police said in a statement.

It was unclear who was responsible. But a fax sent anonymously from a
telephone booth to local media claimed an ``attack on the World Economic
Forum,'' which holds its annual meeting in the building.

Local authorities have announced beefed up security measures for the
gathering Jan. 27-Feb. 1, which President Clinton is to attend.

An anti-free trade group has applied to hold a demonstration in Davos.

Organizers choose Davos for the annual forum in part because it is easy to
control access over road and rail links up narrow valleys in eastern
Switzerland."

___________________________________

7270 Davos Platz

Open letter to the Lower Chamber of the County of Davos

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Anti-WTO Coordination Switzerland has submitted, on 9 December 1999, a
request for a permission for a demonstration against the World Economic
Forum on 29 January 2000. The planned demonstration is meant to protest
economic policies that increase the injustice between North and South and
especially further deteriorates the situation of women.

For a long period of time the authorities of the county of Davos and the
canton of Graubunden just didn't treat the request. After we resolutely
demanded it, a meeting took place between two representatives of the
Anti-WTO Coordination and representatives of the county of Davos as well as
the cantonal police of Graubunden in order to discuss how to proceed with
respect to the permission to demonstrate. At that meeting the authorities
announced that no permission will be granted for 29 January because Davos
is not comparable to a big city and because of the great traffic there is
not enough space on a Saturday for a demonstration march. However, the town
of Davos was prepared to grant a permission for Sunday, 30 January.

However, for the Anti-WTO Coordination it is not possible any longer at
this late point in time to postpone the demonstration, since the
mobilization has started quite some time ago in Switzerland and
internationally and it would be impossible to inform all the persons
interested that the demonstration is being postponed. The Anti-WTO
Coordination has said precisely this to the authorities of Graubunden at
the meeting on 11 January and has proposed a compromise solution: The
Anti-WTO Coordination would do without a demonstration march on 29 January
and content itself with a rally on a square in Davos instead.

Some hours later the Anti-WTO Coordination was informed over the phone that
no demonstrations or rallies would be permitted on 29 January. "In view of
the incoming and outgoing traffic on Saturday 29 January 2000 we cannot
grant you permission on the date you applied for," a registered letter
arriving on 12 December subsequently complemented the explanation. The
Lower Chamber of the County Council has yet to explain in what way a rally
would disturb traffic. In return, and against the explicit wish of the
petitioners, the Lower Chamber gave its permission for a demonstration on
30 January.

We are convinced that this decision is related to the flying visit by US
President Bill Clinton that was just recently announced for 29 January.
Even though the visit in question is a private visit to an informal meeting
the authorities in Davos act as if it was an official state visit
(Happiness abounds! - to quote a Swiss politician known for his zeal). At
the same time a de facto state of emergency is being set up in Davos
through massive police presence and the announced deployment of military
troops. At the same time the right to free expression of opinion is to be
postponed to the next day.

Last year already the administrative court in Chur had, after the fact,
reprimanded the county of Davos for its general ban on demonstrations
during the WEF 99. We see the decision of the Lower Chamber of the County
Council as just another example of the privileges the 'global leaders'
afford themselves.

We resolutely protest against this violation of the right to free
expression of opinion and support the appeal of the Anti-WTO Coordination
against the decision of the Lower Chamber of the County Council not to
allow the demonstration announced for 29 January 2000. We demand from the
authorities of Davos that they grant permission for the demonstration on 29
January.

With best regards,