nettime_announcer on Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:57:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 00.04 [a]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 0 0 . 0 4 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a <<

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  b

                                                                         - - - -
              WWW server <http@puni.osf.lt> : clone module 2.00000004b   | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                               info@e-flux.com : ART ON PAPER Magazine   | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
   Dejan Milojevic <mocart@cent.co.yu> : Intersections of empty spaces   | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
      intima <atom@intima.org> : sm.N [sprinkling menstrual navigator]   | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
                Christa Schneebauer <christa@aec.at> : INTERTWINEDNESS   | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
                  Gregor Muir <gregor@lux.org.uk> : Lux Gallery Update   | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
   stoller@uni-lueneburg.de : art, ecology and sustainable development   | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
   Krystian Woznicki <krystian@snafu.de> : 4th Werkleitz Biennale 2000   | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
    George Lessard <glessard@gov.nu.ca> : US$50,000 Internet Art Award   | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
       Natalie Bookchin <bookchin@calarts.edu> : THEORY/ACTIVISM/MEDIA   | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
           New Langton Arts <nla_arts@sirius.com> : NET ART EXHIBITION   | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 videotage@i-cable.com : Microwave Festival 2000 - WWW   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                        mailto:nettime-l@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

The clone module -

http://y.o-o.lt/nettime

for http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive
has been created.
Sign up for your clone module 2.00000004b at
http://y.o-o.lt/clone.html

yours nettime

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

   ART ON PAPER Magazine
   premier resource on fine art prints, drawings and photography

   http://www.artonpaper.com

   Contemporary photography from around the world will be the focus of Art On
   Paper's January-February issue, with articles on new photographers from
   Australia, China and Mexico.  Other highlights include a feature on British
   photographer and Turner Prize nominee, Steven Pippin, who transforms such
   everyday objects as bathtubs and washing machines into pinhole cameras, as
   well as a travelogue of Americans shooting abroad.

  http://www.e-flux.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

                    Hi,

    I'm looking for talented musicians willing to contribute to Internet
based, international project. Please, send your resumes to mocart@cent.co.yu

                        MocArt, The ArtEast

PRECEDENCE, NONSENSE.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

# new net|art project
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sm.N
[sprinkling menstrual navigator]

http://kid.kibla.org/~intima/smn

navigational |digital| web movie
created by intima virtual base

launched: january 20, 2000 (02:00 gmt+1)

*enjoy your sadness
*don't be afraid of my loneliness
*i often cry. why shouldn't you?

tip:
free your mind and the rest will follow

recommended:
- ms ie 4+ (netscape 4+)
- pc pentium / mac
- min. 64 MB RAM
- min. 28.8 kbs
- midi audio plug-in

---
intima | virtual base
http://www.intima.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

dear nettimers,

the bilingual book (english/german)"Intertwinedness" is including some
articles of nettimers as Ravi Sundaram, Erik Davis etc. and a lot of texts
and material about different dimensions of net-culture and beyond.
for a free review copy send me an e-mail with your adress.

cu
christa

+++
Intertwinedness Real Audio & Real Video lectures: http://intertwine.aec.at
***

Let´s intertwine
Dienstag, 18.1.2000 um 19:00 Uhr
Sky Loft - Ars Electronica Center

Wir moechten herzlich zur Buchvorstellung von

"Intertwinedness - Reflecting the Strucuture of the Net, Ueberlegungen zur
Netzkultur", Vienna 2000
ISBN 3-85415-259-X

einladen.

Intertwinedness, das Buch zur Vorlesungsreihe, das sich mit Fragen der
Vermischung, Verknüpfung, Verflechtung im Kontext der neuen Medien
beschaeftigt hat.

Anlaesslich der Buchvorstellung diskutieren am Podium: Katharina
Gsoellpointner, Gabriele Kepplinger, Robert Pfaller, Martin Wassermair mit
Margarete Jahrmann und Christa Schneebauer.

Wir freuen uns auf Ihr/Euer Kommen

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

LUX Gallery Talk: DEATH IN CYBERSPACE
Tomorrow! Saturday 22 January, 3pm (Admission Free)
To coincide with The New Medium, Nick Crowe (artist), Reverend Turp (Shoreditch
Church), Matthew Fuller (writer/critic) and Gregor Muir (Lux Gallery Curator)
will discuss issues raised by the Internet’s association with death and
spiritual incarceration.

Club LUX: SCIENCE NIGHT - Friday 4 Feb' (8 - late)
Lux Gallery Dj's: THE GIRLS: Nina, Mel, Lizzie + Sarah! Lux Cinema: Pi, STARSHIP
TROOPERS (yo!), THX 1138 For furhter information, please contact 0171 684 0201

LUX Gallery: JIM FLINT's NUCLEAR COCKTAILS. Monday 7 Feb', 8.00 - late. Tickets
£4 Nuclear Cocktails forms part of an occasional and ongoing series of readings
by published writers on emerging technologies, e-commerce and science related
subjects. Following on from the success of Biotech Cocktails, James Flint will
be joined by Jeremy Hall and other guests for an evening of fictional and
non-fictional nuclear discussion and casual alcohol abuse.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

Kunstraum der Universität Lüneburg

Symposium und Workshop
"Art, ecology and sustainable development" im Rahmen der Tagung
"Sustainable University", 27. 1. - 29. 1. 2000, Universität Lüneburg,
Scharnhorststraße 1, D-21335 Lüneburg
kunstraum@uni-lueneburg.de,
Tel.+49.4131.781210, +49.4131.781211, +49.4131.781213, Fax +49.4131.781246

Tagung "Sustainable University"
27. 1. 2000, Hörsaal 4
16.00 Begrüßungen: Hartwig Donner (Lüneburg), Thomas Pyhel (Osnabrück),
Peter Winkelmann (Dortmund), Albert Statz (Berlin) 16.45 Udo Ernst Simonis
(Berlin)
17.30 Alain Lipietz (Paris)

Symposium / Workshop "Art, ecology and sustainable development" 27. 1.
2000, Gebäude 7, 2. Stock, Raum 215 18.30 Einleitung: Beatrice von Bismarck
(Leipzig/ Lüneburg), Ulf Wuggenig (Lüneburg) 18.45 Brian Wallis (New York)
19.30 Diskussion mit Alain Lipietz (Paris) und Brian Wallis

28. 1. 2000, Gebäude 7, 2. Stock, Raum 215 9.30 - ca. 12.30 Astrid Wege
(Köln), Stefan Römer (Köln), Ariane Müller (Berlin / Wien), Yvonne Volkart
(Zürich) 13.30 - ca. 16.00 Hans Ulrich Obrist (Paris), Yung Ho Chang
(Peking), Carlos Basualdo (New York) halle für kunst lüneburg e. V. in
Kooperation mit dem Kunstraum der Universität 28. 1. 2000, Gebäude 7, 3.
Stock, Raum 301, Universität Lüneburg Performance, Party
22.00 Video and Music by Sidney Stucki (Genf) 23.00 Party

Tagung "Sustainable University"
29. 1. 2000, Hörsaalgang und Hörsaal 4
09.00 Visuelle Präsentationen der verschiedenen Teilprojekte der Tagung
11.00 Resümierende Einschätzung: Günter Altner (Koblenz) 12.00 Schlußwort:
Gerd Michelsen (Lüneburg)

Das Symposium "Art, ecology and sustainable development" beschäftigt sich
mit ökologisch orientierter Kunst / Architektur bzw. geht der Frage nach,
welche Relevanz die aktuellen Diskurse zu "sustainable development"
("nachhaltige" bzw. "zukunftsfähige" Entwicklung), die z. B. auch die EXPO
2000 in Hannover begleiten, für die Kunst bzw. das Kunstfeld haben.

Die Veranstaltung beginnt am Donnerstag um 16.00h mit einführenden
Vorträgen im Rahmen der Gesamtveranstaltung "Sustainable University" im
Hörsaal 4 der Universität Lüneburg. Teil dieses Eröffnungsprogramms ist
auch ein Vortrag des vom Kunstraum eingeladenen regulationstheoretischen
Ökonomen Alain Lipietz, der u.a. den Beitrag über nachhaltige Entwicklung
im Katalog der documenta X verfasste. Der spezifische Teil des Symposiums
"Art, ecology and sustainable development" wird um 18.30h mit einer
Einführung und dem Beitrag von Brian Wallis eröffnet.

Am Freitag, den 28. 1. 2000 folgen eine Reihe von Vorträgen von
Theoretiker/innen, Kritiker/innen und Kurator/innen aus dem Kunstfeld zu
verschiedenen Aspekten der Thematik von Kunst, Ökologie und nachhaltiger
Entwicklung. Die Vorträge werden überwiegend in englischer Sprache
gehalten.

Am Abend findet ein von der halle für kunst Lüneburg e.V. in Kooperation
mit dem Kunstraum organisierter Auftritt von Sidney Stucki statt, der in
eine Party mündet. Die Veranstaltung endet am 29. 1.2000 um 12.30h nach
visuellen Präsentationen aus den Teilsymposien der Tagung bzw. einer
resümierenden Einschätzung der Tagung durch Günter Altner (Uni Koblenz) und
einem Schlusswort von Gerd Michelsen (Uni Lüneburg), dem Leiter des
Projekts "Agenda 21-Universität Lüneburg", an dem sich der Kunstraum mit
dem Treibhaus-Projekt von Dan Peterman beteiligt, in das eine Reihe anderer
Künstler/innen integriert sind (u. a. Anna Gudjónsdóttir, Florian Hüttner,
Till Krause, Nils Norman, Superflex, Nana Petzet, Oliver Ressler) bzw. noch
integriert werden.

Am Campus und in der Bibliothek sind während des Symposiums Installationen
von Dan Peterman - "treibhaus.1" und, in Kooperation mit der Galerie für
Landschaftskunst, Hamburg, "treibhaus.2: Extended Falster Video/Greenhouse"
- zu sehen. Außerdem besteht am Freitag Nachmittag nach den Vorträgen
Gelegenheit, die permanente Installation von Christian Philipp Müller ("The
Campus as a Work of Art") bzw. die Kunstraum-Ausstellung "Interarchiv", die
auf einer Kooperation mit Hans-Peter Feldmann und Hans Ulrich Obrist
beruht, zu besichtigen.

Der Eintritt für das Symposium beträgt 25 DM, wofür im Gegenzug das zum
Symposium erscheinende Buch G. Michelsen (Hg.), Sustainable University,
Fft. / Main 2000 ausgehändigt wird. In diesem Band findet sich auch ein
Beitrag des Kunstraums der Universität (von Bismarck, Stoller, Wuggenig)
über "Kunst, Ökologie und nachhaltige Entwicklung".

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Diethelm Stoller
stoller@uni-lueneburg.de
Kunstraum der Universitaet Lueneburg
Scharnhorststr. 1
Haus 7, Raum 218
D-21332 Lueneburg
fon +49.4131.78.1211
fax +49.4131.78.1246
privat:
Vor dem Roten Tore 19
21335 Lüneburg
fon +49.4131.404219
fon +49.5194.7726

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

Hello,

my name is Benjamin Heidersberger. As the curator for  the 4th Werkleitz
Biennale section "net.art" I am looking for interesting projects.

Since I am very interested in net.art different from what we have all
already  seen 1000 times, I started an open submission call with this page:
(http://www.kulturserver.de/home/netart)

Below you will find further description of the Werkleitz Biennale and the
procedure how to submit your work.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need help.

Yours

Benjamin Heidersberger
home: http://www.kulturserver.de/home/benjamin/
mail: netart@kulturserver.de

The Werkleitz Biennale (http://www.werkleitz.de/realwork), 1996 Cluster
Images, 1998 sub fiction) is a border crossing, international forum for
media and art with a special focus on new artistic ways of expression and
techniques as well as projects with research character.

The fourth Werkleitz Biennale "real[work]" will take place 5. - 9. July
2000 in Tornitz, Werkleitz and Calbe/Saale, Germany. Invited curators will
select works in the fields of

- Visual Arts,
- Film/Video,
- Performance Art and
- Internet/Multimedia (Netart).

A printed work-book with CD-ROM will be issued for the event, in addition,
the Biennale website will document all works and discussions.

Kulturserver (http://www.kulturserver.de) is the online community for art &
culture. Artists and institution can build a homepage, publish events, use
Webmail and broadcast TV and radio on the net. Kulturserver is online in
four Germany states (Berlin, Hamburg, Niedersachsen and Sachsen-Anhalt) as
well as Kosova and has 1600 homepages, 10.000 monthly events and 40.000
monthly visits.

Netart Entry Procedure
1. Submit your entry until 15.4.2000.

- Register as a member in Kulturserver
(http://www.kulturserver.de/nav/fr.en.0.0.html)
- Build or upload a page of your project (name, concept and description of
the project, personal information, the project itself) with the functions
Build or File Manager.

If you need help or you are ready, send a mail to netart@kulturserver.de
with your name, URL and the category. All entries will be listed on
http://www.kulturserver.de/home/netart/. The entries can fit into one or
more categories.

Netart categories
1. Visualisation
2. Sound/Music
3. 3D
4. Interaction/Interface
5. Communication
6. Games
7. Young & Upcoming (age under 18)
8. Other

Explain specifically, how your project relates to the theme of real[work].

The change and the future of work are the most important social problems
worldwide. The 4. Werkleitz Biennale combines artistic perspectives which
reflect the associated fundamental restructuring of society under the
thematic line of real[work].

Contemporary art in this dramatic transformation process is a platform for
action to develop virtually trendsetting new fields of work and models of
production.

The concept of real[work] is decribed in
http://www.werkleitz.de/realwork/text_E/concept_E.html. Relating to the
theme will be a clear advantage.

The work must be presentable on a standard multimedia PC running
Netscape/Explorer with Java, Cosmo player, Soundblaster/speakers, mouse,
keyboard, video-camera and an ISDN-Internet connection.

2. Out of the entries, up to 10 works will be selected by the curator,
until 30.4.2000 and selected artists get a compensation of DM 1000 for the
realisation of the work.

The artists transfer the non-exclusive right to exhibit the work
permanently in Kulturserver, in the context of the Biennale and for
PR-work.

3. Additionally the selected artists agree to come to the Biennale. Travel
and accomodation is paid to come to Werkleitz for a exhibition of the work
during the festival (5. - 9. July 2000).

Submitted entries
empty (16.1.2000)

PONTON European Media Art Lab
Benjamin Heidersberger
Lister Str. 6
30163 Hannover
tel: +49-511-627032
fax: +49511-621799
email: benjamin@ponton.de

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 0 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

January 20, 2000

By MATTHEW MIRAPAUL
mirapaul@nytimes.com  URL=
mailto:mirapaul@nytimes.com

San Francisco Museum Creates $50,000 Internet Art Award
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/01/cyber/artsatlarge/20artsatlarge.html
(Requres NYT registration and cookie to read it... today only)

In the hope that it will serve as a generous incentive for contemporary
artists to forsake the canvas for the computer keyboard, the San Francisco
Museum of Modern Art is establishing a $50,000 annual competition for
Internet art, part of the museum's ambitious plans for stimulating interest
in the emerging genre.

he SFMOMA Webby Prize for Excellence in Online Art will go to as many as
three digital artists for their overall work, not for specific projects. The
cash prize, financed by an anonymous donor, will be divided among the
winners. The first recipients will be announced on May 11 in San Francisco
at the annual ceremony for the Webby Awards, which are billed as the
Internet's version of the Oscars

Tuku Noimul Huda Benjamin Weil, the new curator of media arts at the San
Francisco Museum of Modern Art, will help carry out the vision of David
Ross, the museum's director.
 In a telephone interview, David A. Ross, SFMOMA's director, said the new
award was designed to call attention to the Internet as a medium for
creative expression and to encourage artists to explore its aesthetic
potential. The prize, he said, was also meant to "spur additional thinking
about what kind of activity takes place on the Web in an artistic
framework."

SFMOMA and the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS)
http://www.iadas.net/about
have created a new Webby Award to recognize and encourage artists working in
online media around the world.

The SFMOMA Webby Prize for Excellence in Online Art will offer $50,000 to an
artist or artists for a body of work whose primary focus is to be
experienced online and that explores and expands the distinctive capacity of
the online medium. Winning artists will have their work exhibited in
"e.space" SFMOMA's new online gallery, to be launched in mid-February 2000.

The call for entries will open February 21 and close March 14, 2000. Winners
will be announced at The Webby Awards 2000 on May 11 in San Francisco. Stay
tuned for more information on guidelines and entry procedures.

The Webby Awards, the leading international honors for Web sites, are
presented by The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS), a
global organization dedicated to the creative, technical and professional
progress of new media. Copyright © 2000 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art  URL=
http://www.sfmoma.org/
Webby Awards  URL=
http://www.webbyawards.com/
Ars Electronica Center  URL=
http://www.aec.at/
Tate Gallery  URL=
http://www.tate.org.uk/
MIT Press  URL=
http://mitpress.mit.edu/
ada'web  URL=
http://adaweb.walkerart.org/
Walker Art Center  URL=
http://www.walkerart.org/
Dia Center for the Arts  URL=
http://www.diacenter.org/
Transcript of a David Ross lecture on Net art  URL=
http://switch.sjsu.edu/web/v5n1/ross/index.html
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences  URL=
http://www.iadas.net/

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

<net.net.net>
CalArts and The Museum of Contemporary Art
in Los Angeles present Geert Lovink
on Wednesday February 9 at 8:00 PM.

Geert Lovink will be interviewed by Sara Diamond and DeeDee
Halleck about digital aesthetics, art and activism, the
revenge of Marxism on the Internet, the collapse of the
illusion of Democracy on the Internet (as witnessed by the
recent merger of AOL with TimeWarner) and other
pressing issues.

Geert Lovink is a media theorist, activist and
member of Adilkno, the Foundation for the Advancement of
Illegal Knowledge. He is former editor of Mediamatic,
and organizer of numerous key European media
conferences and events including the Hybrid Workshop at
Documenta X, He is the co-founder of 'nettime,' a
mailing list, a series of meetings and publications
including Readme: ASCII Culture and the Revenge of Knowledge
(Autonomedia, 1998).
http://www.nettime.org

DeeDee Halleck is a media activist and co-founder of
Paper Tiger Television and the Deep Dish Satellite
Network. She is Professor in the Department of
Communication at the University of California at San
Diego.

Sara Diamond is a television and new media
producer/director, video artist, curator, critic,
teacher and artistic director. She is currently the
Executive Producer for Television and New Media and the
Artistic Director of Media and Visual Arts at the Banff
Centre for the Arts.

<net.net.net> is a lecture series featuring net
artists, net activists and net collectives from around
the world. The series brings together for the first
time in the United States artists and activists known
throughout the world for their low tech and
interventionist strategies of experimental and radical
cultural production, collaboration, and critique on and
off the Internet.

For further information please call 323-644-1762 or
send email to bookchin@calarts.edu

http://calarts.edu/~ntntnt

also coming up...

<net.net.net.mx>

Jenny Marketou Lectura al Centro Cultural Tijuana
Wednesday January 19 at 7 PM Sala de Videos
http://www.calarts.edu/~ntntnt/mex.html

Jenny Marketou es una artista multimedia griega, que
vive entre Nueva York y Atenas, Grecia. Su trabajo
trata con ambientes de telepresencia y tecnologías de
red, performance translocal e instalaciones de video y
computadora. Marketou da clases en Cooper Union School
of Art, Nueva York. Entre sus exposiciones más
recientes inclye en la Bienal de Sao Paulo, The Queens
Museum of Art y  el Carnegie Center for the Arts.
http://smellbytes.banff.org

El proyecto <net.net.net.mx> consiste en una serie de
presentaciones de net.artistas, net.activistas, y
net.colectivos de alrededor del mundo. Esta serie
continuará hasta mayo del 2000, trae por primera vez a
los Estados Unidos y Mexico a artistas y activistas
conocidos en todo el mundo por su baja tecnología y sus
estrategias intervencionistas experimentales y
radicales de produccion cultural, colaboración y
crítica, dentro y fuera de internet.

</net.net.net>

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 19, 2000
Contact: Leah Broder: 415 626 5416 or nla_arts@sirius.com

NET ART EXHIBITION

AUDIO RECORDINGS OF GREAT WORKS OF ART by Ed Osborn
Featured on http://www.newlangtonarts.org or http://www.auralaura.com
January 12 - March 25, 2000

San Francisco - New Langton Arts presents "Audio Recordings of Great Works
of Art" (1999), a Web site that explores what it sounds like to look at
art. Ed Osborn has made sound recordings at the sites of famous paintings,
sculptures, and other artworks. He presents a visual representation of the
artwork, the sound recorded there, and an accompanying text that considers
how sound functions literally and metaphorically around the work. "Audio
Recordings of Great Works of Art" is the featured web site in Langton's new
Internet exhibition program, NETWORK, and can be viewed on a computer in
the gallery or at http://www.newlangtonarts.org.. New Langton Arts is
located at 1246 Folsom Street between 8th and 9th Streets. For information
call 415 626 5416. Gallery admission is free.

"Audio Recordings of Great Works of Art" examines museum culture, the
acoustic life of silent objects, and the space left to the ear while the
eye is engaged. In this way new readings can be drawn out of frequently
examined pieces. By regarding visual art with the ear, "Audio Recordings of
Great Works of Art" explores a rarely navigated, nearly silent, and always
invisible terrain.

There are fifteen artworks represented in "Audio Recordings of Great Works
of Art" which Osborn selected from thousands of artworks that he has
recorded over the last decade in North America, Europe, and Asia. They were
chosen based on a variety of factors including their various physical
locations, relationship to site, and relative fame. Among the featured
recordings included are "Mona Lisa" (1503-06), Rembrandt's "Nightwatch"
(1642), and Van Gogh's "Self Portrait with Felt Hat" (1887-88).

Ed Osborn is an Oakland based artist whose sound, sound-sculpture, and
performance has been presented around the globe. He has had solo
exhibitions at Artspace in Sydney, Australia (1999), Galerie DARE-DARE,
Montreal, Quebec (1998), Museum of Applied Arts, Helsinki, Finland (1996),
and LACE, Los Angeles, CA (1996), among other venues. Osborn's performance
history includes dates in Brazil, Berlin, Amsterdam, and New York City at
the Lincoln Center (1999), to name a few. He is the recipient of numerous
grants and awards including a grant from the Creative Work Fund (1996).
Osborn is currently an artist-in-residence at Tryon Center for Visual Art
in Charlotte, North Carolina.

NETWORK is a new Internet-based art program at New Langton Arts that seeks
to 1) provide a context for critical attention to and dialogue around
Internet-based art work, 2) create a venue for the creation and
presentation of new work in this evolving cultural arena and 3) support
experimentation by contemporary artists. Through this program, Langton
supports and presents experimental art work that engages the Web as an
artistic medium or site of cultural exchange. NETWORK includes thematic
group exhibitions accessible through Langton's Web site
(http://www.newlangtonarts.org) and commissioned projects by artists at all
stages of their careers. Langton is specifically interested in work that
addresses critical issues related to contemporary culture and aesthetics,
work that is collaborative or participatory in its approach, and work that
crosses disciplinary boundaries.
* * *
New Langton Arts gratefully acknowledges the following individuals,
foundations, and corporations for their support: Association Française
d'Action Artistique, Mike Abbink, Banana Republic, BankAmerica Foundation,
Lewis Butler, California Arts Council, Penny and James Coulter, Cultural
Services of the French Embassy, Joshua Distler, Martha W. Dresher, DB
Incorporated, Department of Foreign Affairs Ireland, eBay Great
Collections, Etant Donnés, Elizabeth and Robert Fisher, Sakurako and
William Fisher, Maynard and Charlotte Franklin, Grants for the Arts/San
Francisco Hotel Tax Fund, Joe Boxer, The William and Flora Hewlett
Foundation, Edward L. Jew, Meridee Moore and Kevin King, Kathryn Hall and
Tom Knutsen, Naomi and Charles Kremer, The National Endowment for the Arts
Creation & Presentation Programs, PE Applied Biosystems, Potrero Nuevo
Fund, Howard Rice Fund, John Sappington, Kathryn Taylor and Thomas Steyer,
The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Susan and Richard Swig
Watkins, The Charles M. Weinberg Fund, Zellerbach Family Fund, The board of
directors and members of New Langton Arts.

- end -

For photography and interviews contact Leah Broder at 415 626 5416 or
nla_arts@sirius.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New Langton Arts
1246 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415.626.5416 ph
415.255.1453 fx
nla_arts@sirius.com
www.newlangtonarts.org
Featured NetWork site:  http://www.auralaura.com

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

World, Wave, Wild

4/1 - 9/2/2000
curated by Videotage
presented by Provisional Urban Council

Since 1985, Videotage has evolved into an operation dedicated to the
production, development and study of films, video and other alternative
time-based arts.
Microwave Festival is the only International media art festival in Hong Kong
every year which is curated by Videotage. Since itÕs initial launch,
Microwave Festival has expanded into the realm of multimedia arts including
a CD-ROM works exhibition in 1997.
The 4th Microwave Festival 2000 will be held from 4/1/2000 to 9/2/2000,
programmes include International Video Screening ( about seventy video works
will be shown), CD-ROM Exhibition, Artist-in-Residence Workshop, Seminar and
also the opening party - Double Click Party. Curators Solange Farkas
 director of Videobrasil), Mike Stubbs ( director of Hull Time Based Art,
England) will visit Hong Kong during the festival and will host seminars to
share their experiences.  Also video artist Eder Santos (Brazil), Atsushi
Ogata (Japan), Dirk Holzberg (Germany), and also Josephine Starrs
(Australia) will attend the festival with their works.

INTERNATIONAL VIDEO SCREENING
<<Contamination>> ,<<Sick and Dizzy>>, <<The Best of Art Rage>>

ÒSelfÓ is no longer a loner bounded by a single geographical border. The
self is built up of numerous cultures, a sum of many sums. Are we taking
advantages from these contaminations? Or are we being forced into SELFLESS
souls?

ÒMiscegenation and syncretism are ubiquitous and yet there are no borders.
We live in constant acquisition and dispensation, we contaminate ourselves
and others; colonists and colonized in constant absorption of cultures as we
receive and export these cultures forming a tireless flux of resistance and
contamination.Ó
 -- Solange Farkas ( Curator of ÒContaminationÓ, Director of Videobrasil)

ÒSo with the advent of mass media and multimedia communications our
collective imaginings go public, the bubble of private subjectivity
pops, and with it cherished and persisting notions of 'civilisation'.
'I' am contaminated by popular culture.Ó
 -- Beth Jackson ( Director of Griffith Artworks of Griffith University )Ê

So, what kind of ÒSelfÓ we are going to meet during watching works from
ÒContaminationÓ and ÒSick & DizzyÓ?

Will you ever expect that you could watch video art works from TVB or ATV?
Since 1994, 77 Australia most interesting contemporary artists have made
short video works for national broadcast on the ABCÕs Rage and Recovery
programs. Kim Machan, curator of <<The Best of Art Rage>> did a great job on
promoting media arts in Ausratlia.

21/1/2000 (Fri) 7:30pm
"SICK AND DIZZY" (Australia)
curated by Griffith Artworks of Griffith University and Videotage
"THE BEST OF ART RAGE"
curated by Kim Machan

22/1/2000 6:30pm CONTAMINATION 1
         8:30pm CONTAMINATION 2
23/1/2000 6:30pm CONTAMINATION 3
8:30pm CONTAMINATION 4
Venue: Hong Kong Space Museum Lecture Hall
Tickets: $45
10% discount for each purchase of 4 or above tickets for a single screening
15% discount for each purchase of tickets for 2-3 screenings
20% discount for each purchase of tickets for 4-5 screenings
Half-price tickets available for senior citizens, people with disabilities
and full-time students
10% discount for 'Friends of Hong Kong Cultural Centre'

Double Click Party
The lastest video <Q3>(32mins) by Feng Mengbo, a well-known China media
artist will be screened as an opening preview. His CD ROM installation and
artworks have been exhibited internationally, such as the Venice
Biennial(Italy), Kwangju Biennial (Korea), Fukuoka Asian Art Museum(Japan),
Lyon Biennial(France), documenta X(Kassel), Holly Solomon Gallery(New York),
Haggerty Museum(Milwaukee). <Q3>has just been screened in the Asia Pacific
Art Triennale/MAAP99, Brisbane, Australia.
After <Q3>, DJ Hahn Rowe (member of Somatic, Hugo Largo and Circuit Bible in
New York) and VJ Hung Keung (Hong Kong Video Artist) will perform <Village
Vibes>. Graphics, photos and video clips collected from public will be
edited together into 45mins sequence by Hung Keung, mixed with the live
techno music by Hahn Rowe. This will be surely a surprise performance on the
opening night.

Date: 26/1/2000
Time: 6:30pm
Venue: Hong Kong City Hall Exhibition Hall
Free Admission

CD ROM EXHIBITION
  ÒThe photograph of the slough on the cover of the record of the New World
Symphony by Drove made my father emotional.  At the speed of change and of
the new,  will it be only 50 years from now when we will feel the same
nostalgia for Dolly the sheep?Ó
-- Mike Stubbs ( curator of CD-ROM Exhibition, Director of Hull Time Based
Art, England )
Yes, indeed, the world is changing too fast. While the western culture
claiming that CD-ROM will be replaced by the Internet, Hong Kong audiences
are still lacking of chances to find out what CD-ROM can offer them. Even
some outstanding CD-ROM art works created by the local indies do not have
enough channels to show to the public. The Microwave Festival 2000 is going
to hold a CD-ROM exhibition with the international portion containing 12 CD
Rom art works curated by Mike Stubbs are collected from United Kingdom,
United States, Argentina and Australia....etc. CD ROM artists like Perry
HobermanÕs Faradays Ghost and Dainiel G. AndujarÕs Phoney are also included.
Local artists like Heung Keung, Bryan Chung, studentsÕ works from local
university like Hong Kong  Polytechnic University and Hong Kong City
University, make up the other portion.

Date:  26/1 - 9/2/2000
Time: 6:30pm - 9pm (26/1/2000)
11am - 6pm (27/1/2000)
11am - 9pm ( 28/1 - 9/2/2000)
Venue: Hong Kong City Hall Exhibition Hall
Free Admission

SEMINAR   (In English)
Solange Farkas, Artistic Director of Videobrasil Festival which with 17
years history, curating programmes include video screenings, CD Rom
exhibition, and performances. How much effort did she give out for making
Videobrasil as a major role in the world?
Mike Stubbs, the Artistic Director of Hull Time Based Art has paid a great
effort on HTBA which is already an important art organisation in England.
Stubbs himself is also a filmmaker, video artist, and curator. He and
Solange Farkas are going to host the seminar for introducing the development
of their groups and local art culture, also their own experiences.
Beth Jackson, Director of Griffith Artworks, Griffith University in
Australia. She is the curator of a virtual on-line exhibition SHORELINE:
PARICLES AND WAVES. During the Microwave Festival 2000, Jackson will host a
talk on the development of multi-media art in Australia with showing the
local CD-ROM art works.

22/1/2000(Sat) 3pm
Speaker: Beth Jackson ( Director of Griffith Artworks of Griffith
University)
Veune: Hong Kong Cultural Centre AC2

24/1/2000  (Mon) 8pm
Speaker: Solange Farkas (Director of Videobrasil Festival)
Venue: Hong Kong Cultural Centre Conference Room AC1

27/1/2000  (Thur) 8pm
Speaker: Mike Stubbs (Director of Hull Time Based Art, England)
Venue: Hong Kong City Hall Exhibition Hall

Free admission by tickets (Free admission vouchers will be available at the
Enquiries Counter of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre and the City Hall from
24/12/99 onwards on a first-come-first-served basis.)

Media Enquiry
( arrange interviews, free tickets (press only )enquiry)
Bobo Lee
tel:  2573 1869
fax:  2503 5978
e-mail:  videotage@i-cable.com