bbb_apple@hotmail.com on Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:27:26 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Pastry Uprising Against Genetix Continues in Montreal

Canadian Federal Minister of Health and president of biotech coalition pied
at biosecurity protocol conference!

[Communiques Received by Biotic Baking Brigade from Les Entartistes]

Montreal, friday January 21st 2000

FRANKENFOOD

Where you find eugenism.... there`s no fun !

This morning, at around 10:30, in the Salon des Huîtres of the
Intercontinental Hotel in Montreal, Québec, Canada, Joyce Groote, president
of BIOTECanada and also president of the World Coalition of the
Biotechnology Industry, got our sweet natural cream pie at the opening of
the conference on the biosecurity protocol being held in Montreal until
January 28th.

Miss Groote doesn`t have to worry : our genetically modified pie was tested
on a dozen of other guinea-pigs before hers. Were added to this pie, a
democracy gene, a respect of the natural world gene and finally a gene that
will heal the divine superiority complex over nature. Isn`t the desire for
improving the vegetal world, the animal world, and now the human world an
insanity? These capitalo-scientists, financed by public funds (fiscal
treatement in Canada for research and development in this sector is the best
among industrial countries) are forcing their frankenfood on us - we`re lab
rats - without any public consultation nor debate. What about the
transnationals in this coalition (2300 of them in 130 countries, like the
unfamous Monsanto that doesn`t even serve its frankenfood in its own
cafeteria!) that are using a "profit" gene while patenting all forms of
life?

60 to 75% of all modified food in our supermarkets contain GMOs. BIOTECanada
is proposing a new form a "voluntary labelling" - please, we`re foolish but
not stupid - but this measure was implented years ago! No one yet has had
the courage to use it. This is not a surprise to us. The Entartistes,
pionners as usual, have just offered the very first product in North America
being voluntarely labelled as transgenic : behind the dessert plate was
written the word "Biotarte" (Biopie).

We now wish that the industry will be inspire by our pro-active action
because we need to know what is going into our stomachs

This pie is being dedicated to those that are taking part in biotech
resistance all around our beautiful spaceship called "Planet Earth".

www.dsuper.net/~aboyeur/tarte.html
entartiste@multimania.com

Montreal, Monday January 24th 2000

FRANKENFOOD PART 2
Operation "Rock This Town"

This morning around 10:00 AM in West Montreal, Allan Rock, Minister of
Health received his just desserts from Agent S'Pie of Les Entartistes (The
Pie-Oneers) in the form of a sweet lemon merengue  pie. This was another
gesture to denounce our government's position on GE foods as they attend the
Biosecurity Protocol Conference being held this week .

We are being force fed GE foods with the consent of the Minister of Health,
so we decided to force-feed him with the finest of pies. Rock could not tell
whether the pie was made with transgenic ingredients, that is precisely the
problem with GE Foods. We never know. But don't  worry, the Minister of
Health has approved all of this.

Minister Rock seems very concerned about people's health in the arena of
tobacco (the first transgenic plant) and is planning a strong labelling
regime. However, Rock allows GE foods to be sold without any long term
testing for human health or environmental safety. Our tax dollars are used
to subsidize the genetic engineering industry, and the public are used as
lab rats. Over 200 of Health Canada's own scientists said that there were
inadequate resources to properly evaluate the safety of GE foods.

Industry and government are promoting "voluntary labeling," and though this
option has been open to companies for years, they have not chosen to label
products in North America. Would tobacco companies put diseased lungs on
their packages if it was only voluntary?

Last year Robert Shapiro (Monsanto CEO), last friday Joyce Groote (President
of BIOTECanada and of the Global Biotechnolgy Industry Coalition), today
Allan Rock, tomorrow who knows? We hope that all of the delegates enjoy the
week as they decide our fate behind closed doors.

Pie High!

The Pie is the Limit!
Que Qui Peut Puisse!

pictures available at: www.dsuper.net/~aboyeur/tarte.html
email: entartiste@multimania.com

- 30-

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

--- last words of Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa (1877-1923)