scotartt on Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:43:28 +0100 (CET)

RECLAIM NETTIME (was Re: <nettime> Dear Nettime)

Dear nettime

[[ opening remarks to all list members ]]

/*
I invite public comment on any issue I have raised here by any member of
nettime! Just remember, we shouldn't have to write this in our messages!
Nettimer's, the DNS issue is SO IMPORTANT that its imperative you
contribute to this thread!
*/

--

Dear Mr Garrin

> Dear Nettime
>
> Yes, I mean the subscribers of this list, not the "censorship"
> board who controls it.

I am glad this debate is being set up from the outset in such a civil,
interesting tone. There is a difference between 'moderating' a list and
'censoring' it. As I recall having to send you several excoriating emails
to your 'nettime-free' ahhh -- effort -- which you forced-subscribed
everyone to some years ago, in order to stop recieving the junk mail that
was being sent to that alleged 'list', it doesn't seem to me that you are
in any position of moral or technical authority to start public debate on
this or any other list or forum about the nature of moderation.

> In the event that this message even makes it to the list,
> I invite those who are interested in a reasonable and open
> discussion on Name.Space and some of the issues of late,

[ ... ]

> Nettime is not the appropriate forum to carry on any discussion
> on DNS, Name.Space, or related issues because the "moderators/
> censors" control the content of this list to suit their own
> personal agendas.  This has been clear for a long time, and
> has raised its ugly face again since many of my recent posts
> never made it to this list, most likely because the "cabal"

Ahh, the Cabal. Watch out for that Cabal.

There are a number of fatal conceptual flaws in your argument;

1) If nettime isn't an appropriate forum to discuss nettime, and nor the
*net* either then why is Name.Space the appropriate place to discuss
itself?

2) Name.Space is a *business* run by yourself for **personal profit**. As
is Lokmail.

3) While (2) is not evil or wrong inherently (but, I bet there are plenty
on this list who might argue that it is, bless their little trotskyist
hearts), ReclaimThe.Net and in fact nearly all your rhetoric and public
campaigning are just so much phony political 'front' in order to support
*Name.Space**business**goals*.  It reminds me of the recent case of
Westfield and its being busted running fake community protest groups to
protest against competitors shopping center developments.

> in any discussion.  So, if you are interested in the new
> Name.Space thread, unfettered and uncensored and untouched
> or manipultaed by the Nettime-Cabal of censors, you are
> invited to join in via the web.

4) You seem to intimate that 'Name.Space' == DNS here. We are not
interested in Name.Space, your FOR-PROFIT BUSINESS which you hope to make
yourself rich through, but in the name system infrastructure. The Name
System, forgive me for remembering, isn't your personal playground and
*debate* on this topic does not exist to soley serve your BUSINESS
requirements. The name system is VERY important public infrastructure. It
is an international issue of access scalability and ease of use, which your
BUSINESS PLANS do not address. Every word you have ever uttered on this
matter was about your own needs, not community needs. You don't even have
proper plans for dispute resolution or how to decide what a valid gTLD is!
Its ad-hoc, exactly what's wrong with the current system. From this
perspective, your beef with the current system is obviously that YOU don't
control it. Nettime exists exactly to counteract this sort of
public-policy-for-business rhetoric that infests the E-commerce Internet
nowadays. Name.Space is the enemy just as much as NSI is.

Please propose to nettime your alternative plan for organising the DNS
complete with dispute resolution procedures. I welcome your input into the
'RECLAIM THE DNS' project we have started here in nettime. In fact your
contributions so far, have been invaluable to me, allowing me to focus my
thoughts correctly on just what is the problem with the DNS and why
disputes around it are so protracted and frequently turn in circles.

Name.Space seems perfectly able to demand that volunteer moderators who put
a lot of hard work for free, approve all your messages without remit or
else its 'censorship', while you don't ever seem to respond to critique or
commentary which is not unfazingly uncritical. I'd like to know **why** you
are running these 'Public Action Campaigns' to SUPPORT YOUR BUSINESS GOALS
and just **why** you think we have to accept this fact without comment or
action.

/*
I invite public comment on any issue I have raised here by any member of
the nettime subscriber base! We shouldn't have to write this in our
messages! Nettimer's, the DNS issue is SO IMPORTANT that its imperative you
contribute to this thread and help build a truly alternative, open-source
proposal for net infrastructure and not just yet more BUSINESS PLANS, IPOs
and fake community campaigns to support same.
*/

> Name.Space will soon issue a press release regarding
> the decision of the court in Name.Space v. NSI/NSF.

Why? We already know you lost.

Kind Regards,
Scot Mcphee
nettime moderator

--
Disclaimer; I am NOT speaking on behalf of the moderation team. This email
is a personal viewpoint only.