Frank Hartmann on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:25:22 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> film-archaeology

As McLuhan once remarked, the content of any medium is always another
medium. I do not want to verify this statement by putting TV-programm on
this mailinglist, I just find the following a remarkable document in media
history:

with the participation and the appearance of Magnus Hirschfeld, a pioneer
in the field of sexual research in Berlin, Richard Oswald produced the
silent movie "Anders als die Anderen" in 1919. The first film with
homosexuality as a subject, it fell victim to censorship. The sexologist's
enlightenment work survived in an Ukranian export version which recently
was reconstructed by the Münchener Filmmuseum. Tonight, the french-german
TV channel ARTE will show a recently restorated copy of this film

http://www.arte-tv.com/cinema/scandale/dtext/00.htm