Guy Van Belle on Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:18:33 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: The old, government-controlled internet

Well, if I remember well, there was no advertising, but it wasn't really
controlled at all. First of all, governments in Europe were totally
unaware of it, and secondly, only academics were on it, and in any case
you could set up and do what you wanted! And put on your own server what
you wanted! No one was claiming anything, while now I have 3 copyright
claims running for some stupid beginning of the century poststamp gif
reproductions I used for educational sites!

--
Advancements in technology have meant that all manner of equipment is now
available for reappropriation by whoever has the time to learn how to use