scotartt on Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:29:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> looking for answers

> This time I have five questions about the feeling for time on the net:
>
> 1. People try to find an universal solution for messuring time. Do you
> think that one of the existing modells (for example Swatch Internet Time
or
> GET Greenwich Electronic Time)
> will be accepted? Why, why not?

What is the problem with UCT, or the other types of 'standard' time that we
keep already, at great expense and enormous scientific precision?! As for
Swatch, what right do they think they hold to privatise time standards?

> 2. In a statistic a year in the internet is meant to be 2.7 month short.
> Did you also realize a faster flow of time in the net?

Does time 'flow' at all? As one gets older, time speeds up. Its perceptual.

> 3. How do you personal act with this phenomenon?

Rushed delivery deadlines, poor engineering practice, stress, non-robust
product, low reusability, bad human factors. (I'm a developer for web
applications).

> 4. Do you think that the speed of the medium internet is also influencing
> the offline-allday-life of an internet user?

Only in the service of commerce. Commerce dominates everything. The
internet extends its reach, even now, over Time itself (see Swatch
'internet' time).

> 5. Do you think that fast-moving time is a sign of zeitgeist in general?

No. The rate of time is independant of the zeitgeist. The rate of change,
is another thing.

> I am looking for someone from spain or portugal, south america, asia, or
> everywhere else exept germany, france, great britain, greece or the
Baltics.

Location = Australia/EST (GMT+10).