/dev/mat on Sun, 28 May 2000 18:02:56 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Bologna, June 12-15, counter-meeting against OECD

In Italy a new period of mobilisation has started. After the demonstration
in Bologna (10.000 people) against a small Haider-friendly party and in
Genova against a big biotech fair ( http://www.tebio.org/en/ ), there will
be a big counter-meeting in Bologna against OECD ( http://www.oecd.org/ ).
see http://www.contropiani2000.org

this is the only text in english available. forward and let it know:
http://www.contropiani2000.org/informazione/appello/appello_uk.htm

cheers,
/mat

   ------

                             Appeal Rete NoOcse

   In Bologna, after a month period of discussion and
   debates, a net of singles and groups has born to stop the
   OECD Conference that will take place in Bologna from the
   12 to the 15 of June. The net is called CONTROPIANI
   (Counter-Plans). We invite all of you to join and to let
   this appeal be more known.

   From 12 to 15 of June 2000 will take place in Bologna the
   Conference for Ministers responsible for SMEs and
   Industry that joined OECD and the Conference jointly
   organised by the OECD and the Italian Ministry of
   Industry.

   The OECD (Organization for the Economic Co-operation and
   Development) links 29 countries and is better known as
   "The Club of Riches". Its implicit and explicit targets
   are: suppressing custom barriers and binding obligations
   which prevent the free circulation of capitals; making
   the local enterprises competitives, in order that rich
   countries' lobbies can usurp the global resources: from
   goods to labor in every their shape.

   In so doing they induct a further pauperization of the
   northern lower classes, with an exasperation of
   flexibility and precariousness of workers, submitted to
   the unemployement blackmail; and above all starving and
   destroying the South and the East of the world.

   The Bologna Conference will deal with small and middle
   enterprise and has the target of incentivate the tendency
   of reducing the production in big enterprises backing the
   small and middle ones thanks to the State support. Small
   and middle enterprises don't replace big ones, not only
   because the strategical choices are decided by
   multinationals, but even because the integration process
   between small and big ones goes on in the traditional
   form of decentralization and in the net organization one.

   Italy's been choosen because in this country small and
   middle enterprises count much more than in the other
   industrialized countries. Bologna has been choosen
   because in Emilia-Romagna can be found models of this
   kind of production based on decentralization and
   integration. This kind of organization keeeps the
   interest of masters because of its lower wages, safety
   warrants and trade union rights are lower or they're even
   absent, production flexibility is very high and often
   wild. At the end of the conference "The Bologna Chart"
   will be decreed, directly dictated by masters and
   Governments.

   OECD and WTO are antidemocratics and arbitrary
   international organizations, because they act out of the
   control of the ones undergone by their consequences:
   structures like these act in the total lack of
   transparency and they (even) utilize war to defend their
   economic interests. Either they use local, national and
   international politic institutions to have their
   neoliberistic plan carried out. Somebody bravely protects
   their role and function, somebody else believes that they
   have to be "democraticized" and modernized.

   As far as we are concerned, we just believe that these
   structures haven't any legitimacy, and for this we have
   decided to prevent them from talking in Bologna, as it
   happened in Seattle last December.

   In the third millenium, the society wants the rights of
   cityzenship to be globalized, not the capacity of
   competing with success as someone would like to happen,
   by impoverishing planet's lives and resources: universal
   rights of cityzenship as the right of free movement; the
   right of living in a safe environment and eating not
   genitacally manipoulated foods; the income right, above
   and against the mailblack of a precarious and ungaranteed
   job; the right for free formation and information; the
   right for a better life quality.

   The end of century's novel told the story of the fall of
   custom barriers for markets and capitals, while bariers
   grown to push back immigrants and their backgrounds and
   desires; it illustrated woman's emancipation through the
   identification to male status; it told about how
   competition represents a value and social rights a lost
   to control, it explained how everithing in this world is
   for sale while what you can't buy is outside, it
   underlined the increasing of production given by the
   intoduction of new tecnologies and it inserted as a foot
   of the page note the physiological reduction of wages and
   opportunities, while the need of reducting the job
   timetable and of redistributing the socially producted
   richness were to be evidenced in splash headlines.

   For the incoming century a common novel has to be written
   down in which lagers for unlegal immigrants nothing will
   be but a sad memory of a period when oceans and
   borderlines flowed blood and shame; in which women
   emancipation will meet the right of freely menage their
   own bodies, their own lives, their own sexuality; in
   which the productive power of social cooperation could
   oppose the competition between enterprises; in which
   equal rights for everybody could prefigure a different
   pattern of development, opposed to the one that we have
   known and hated. In June they will try to write down an
   unilateral form of globalization on "the Chart of
   Bologna".

   In opposition we have to write down an other chart, more
   complex, more plural, more social, thet could be
   expressed in a wide, open and public place of critic
   dissidence where we can experiment a new sociality,
   opposed to the new economy, extended from the local to
   the global, passing through the intermediate role of the
   european metropolis, to assert a new, open cityzenship.

   We would like this sociality to triumph at the opening of
   the bolognese summer. As to the form of the protest, we
   intend to riaffirm that we have the consciousness to live
   in a virtual, planetary, social body; but, at the same
   time, we know we have a body with the ancient meaning of
   the "habeas corpus": this mean that we can dispose of
   ourselves, of our bodies and we have rights ! We don't
   only have a body made up with desires and needs to
   satisfy. We have a complex body made up of different
   cultures, emotions, knowledges and it still is the
   measure of happyness, fear and transformation of reality.
   We don't have just a singolar body, we have a common body
   where to live all together: it is our planet.

   Everything can be reproduced, but just like a copy. We
   want to remain original and mixed. We want to live in an
   original and mixed world, getting support from a
   plurality of cultures and from technology too.

   We know that sensible men adapt themselves to the world,
   while those who are irreasonable pretend to adapt the
   world to themselves. And it's for this reason that every
   progress and every changement are due to irreasonable
   men.

   Somos todos ciudadanos del mundo.

   Bologna, 12 April 2000