Ade Ward on Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:21:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> * open-source architecture *

brian carroll...

> and unlike Microsoft's heavily guarded proprietary source code, the
> computer code for the Linux OS is open-source, meaning that it is publicly
> available to programmers who want to develop the software architecture in
> order to optimize its performance or extend its different tasks.

I believe the open source ('bottom-up') model of development is always more
productive within projects that require close social integration: in that
sense architecture is no different to software, to artforms, to
entertainment.

We can see that the ideals that lie at the heart of the OSS model are
spreading to such diverse areas of modern humanity that it is becoming hard
to justify any centralised, monopolistic constructive activity.

Further discussion -> http://sidestream.org/open.txt/essay.html

Ciao,

--
// Ade.