Thomas Keenan on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:20:28 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted."

> And then there's the matter of the recent capture of Dragan Nikolic, 43,
> reportedly by bounty-hunters (in other words, judicial kidnappers)
> operating illegally within the borders of FR Yugoslavia.  This episode
> is beyond shameful. This poor soul apparently had no idea that there was
> a sealed indictment against him--in fact, he had been one of the signers
> of the Dayton Accords.

Hmmm. So wrote T.V. Weber & Alida Weber on <nettime> last Friday.
Apologies for the delay in responding.

Dragan Nikolic a signer of the Dayton Peace Agreement?  Um, I don't think
so.  I'll bet that the "poor soul" was already in hiding at that time,
although perhaps he was still working for the Bosnian Serb secret police.

For the record, as the Los Angeles Times reported on 15 December 1995 from
the signing ceremony in Paris:

	The treaty was signed in the space of three minutes by Presidents
	Alija Izetbegovic of Bosnia, Slobodan Milosevic of Serbia and
	Franjo Tudjman of Croatia.

	Then [U.S. President Bill] Clinton, French President Jacques
	Chirac, British Prime Minister John Major, German Chancellor
	Helmut Kohl, Russian Prime Minister Viktor S. Chernomyrdin and
	Spanish Prime Minister Felipe Gonzalez -- for the 15-nation
	European Union -- added their signatures.

For those interested in who Dragan Nikolic actually is -- the man in
charge of the Susica concentration camp in eastern Bosnia, the first
indictee of the International Criminal Tribunal in the Hague, recently
snatched from his hideout in Serbia and delivered to the ICTY -- a look at
his indictment might be helpful. Go to

	http://www.un.org/icty/ind-e.htm

and click on Nikolic (IT-94-2) "Susica Camp." Or, for something with a
little more narrative:

	He has been described as a tall slim figure with a nasal voice, a
        Serb in his mid-30's named Dragan Nikolic, and he appears to have
        displayed a singular brutality as the orchestrator of the
        proceedings at Susica, the Serbian concentration camp just outside
        this eastern Bosnian town [Vlasenica].

        Each night throughout the summer of 1992, witnesses say, Mr.
        Nikolic would come into the barracks and point to men or read out
        a list of names. Shortly afterward, people inside the building
        would hear shooting. The men selected never returned.

This comes from the best account of what Dragan Nikolic did, the pair of
articles Roger Cohen published in the New York Times in August 1994 on
Susica, under the general title "The Secrets of Susica: How Muslims Died
in Bosnia."

1 August 1994, A1: Ex-Guard for Serbs Tells Of Grisly 'Cleansing' Camp
2 August 1994, A1: Bosnian Camp Survivors Describe Random Death

They are available on line at:

http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0005&L=justwatch-l&P=R23761&D
=1&H=0&O=D&T=1

I thought <nettime> was a text filter. Isn't anyone filtering? "The poor
soul" indeed.  It's beyond shameful ...

Tom Keenan