nettime's_lazy_bastard on Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:37:51 +0200 (CEST)

                              From: "Axel Bruns" <mc@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
     Subject: M/C Reviews Call for Contributors: Women Writing Culture
                            From: radioqualia <radioqualia@va.com.au>
                               Subject: Amsterdam TV Now! Chat open!
                     From: Joy Garnett <joy@firstpulseprojects.org>
                                 Subject: Newsgrist: an invitation
                   From: officegallery <office_gallery@yahoo.com>
                                         Subject: office/gallery
                     From: "teleferique" <teleferique@magic.fr>
                                          Subject: INFORMATION
                    From: Mouchette <mouchette@mouchette.org>
                                        Subject: The Winners
               From: Nat Muller <Nathalie.Muller@skynet.be>
                      Subject: Publication New Axis Reader
                   From: "geert lovink" <geert@xs4all.nl>
                       Subject: media ecology conference
              From: fiftyfifty <updates@fiftyfifty.org>
  Subject: OPEN PICNIC v.1 : BARCELONA : 16>17/06/2000
         From: Guy Van Belle <Guy.VanBelle@rug.ac.be>
Subject: candidates for higher institute of fine arts accepted
                   From: Chris Byrne <euro@cryptic.demon.co.uk>
                      Subject: Roshini Kempadoo - Virtual Exiles
                            From: gregor muir <gregor@lux.org.uk>
                       Subject: Lux Gallery / advanced information
                             From: francis <francis@hgb-leipzig.de>
 Subject: francis presents: Jacek Staniszewski on http://contour.net
                        From: "[THING]" <eleazar@usuarios.retecal.es>
                                             Subject: Birthday Present
                            From: you minowa <mcmogatk@po.sphere.ne.jp>
                                Subject: "Call for Entries" / MCMOGATK
                           From: Kalina Bunevska <kalina@scca.org.mk>
                                                 Subject: Invitation

From: "Axel Bruns" <mc@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 16:06:58 +1000

                M/C Reviews - An ongoing series of reviews
                    of events in culture and the media.
                  http://www.api-network.com/mc/reviews/

                          Call for Contributors

       "Her Muse Called into Her Crowded Ear": Women Writing Culture

M/C Reviews invites submissions for its special feature issue on the
topic of Women Writing Culture.

Sneja Gunew has said that women's writing is no longer an absence. But is
this only some women?  And in some genres?  And how is our presence
articulated?  Women's writing can break distinctions, explore dichotomies,
give new perspectives, question boundaries.  As Anne-Marie Sauzea-Boetti
points out: "The actual creative project of woman as subject involves
betraying the oppressive mechanisms of culture in order to express herself
through the break ... Not the project of fixing meanings but of breaking
them up and multiplying them".

Women Writing Culture presents diverse possibilities -- among women,
within writing, about culture.  This feature issue will look at the
multifarious sites of women's involvement in writing and media culture -
scripts, zines, e-zines, journalism, Websites, fiction, poetry,
auto/biography.  We are looking for articles that talk about what is
happening, and any recent developments, in any of these areas for women.

When Elizabeth Smart wrote of her muse calling into her crowded ear, she
was speaking of the competing demands on women writers.  This feature
issue would also like to explore the challenges women face when they
write, and when they market their work in the public arena.  What is it
like at the moment to be writing for ourselves, for the sisterhood, or for
a living? And how about the Internet -- what has it meant for women's
writing?  What makes a Website female-friendly?  Is there a cyber-
sisterhood of writers?

These are a few sample questions, but let your own creativity be your
guide.  What aspect of Women Writing Culture speaks to you?  If you have
something to contribute to this special issue of M/C Reviews, write a
review article and submit it before 17 July 2000.  Women's writing is part
of media culture -- make your writing part of this feature issue.

Send articles of up to 1,500 words and any queries to Carolyn Hughes at
c.hughes@mailbox.uq.edu.au.

Please refer to the contributors' guidelines at
<http://www.api-network.com/mc/reviews/contribute.html>.

Examples of previous feature sections and how to contribute can be found
on our Website, at <http://www.api-network.com/mc/reviews/>.

Please forward your contributions to M/C Reviews at mc@mailbox.uq.edu.au
by 17 July 2000.

                                                          Axel Bruns