Ana Viseu on 9 Sep 2000 04:58:46 -0000

<nettime> the places and spaces of cyberspace

The places and spaces of cyberspace

In the August edition of the Atlantic Monthly, Jonathan Koppell writes an
article entitled "No 'there' there: Why cyberspace isn't anyplace"
[http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/08/koppell.htm] in which he defends
the non-existence of a cyberspace 'place'. I write to refute this position,
arguing that, in fact, the 'place' metaphor is an adequate way of creating
awareness to the fragile nature of the Internet.

Koppell analyses 'place' in two different ways. In the first he rejects the
use of 'place' as appropriate because it contradicts a traditional
geographical approach. He argues that because cyberspace cannot be seen on
any map, it should not be considered a place. And while some would argue
vehemently that there are maps of cyberspace [1], in fact, someone even
wrote a book entirely dedicated to the mapping cyberspace [2]. What Koppell
is really confusing here are the words 'place' and 'space'. Cyberspace is a
space and, contrary to the common understanding of 'place', spaces are not
necessarily physical. For example, we commonly say that 'we need some
space'. Does that mean we need to have 1 meter around us? Or that this
space should be mapped down? Perhaps, but usually it refers to having some
mental freedom, some independence for ourselves. Seen in this way, space is
an environment with certain embedded sets of values that allow one to act
in a certain way. CyberSPACE seems to fit well into this category for it
does "offer alternative ways of living" [3].

In the second line of critique he argues that this metaphor is a potential
danger to the "wise management of the Internet". Koppell defends that
seeing cyberspace as a "pure state beyond ordinary society" makes it seem
as if "the introduction of law would not so much bring order as corrupt
utopia".  This increases the uneasiness felt by both courts and
legislatures to regulating this place.

However, Koppell overlooks two important facts. The first is that specific
laws have been made to regulate environments other than that in which we
live our everyday life. We have, for example, a law of the sea. Thus, that
should not be an impediment for the creation of regulation.

The second point that Koppell misses is that arguing that cyberspace is a
place, does not imply that it is a self-ordering, pure space, as Koppell
seems to believe. Koppell cites Lessig's Code and other laws of cyberspace
to reinforce this argument citing the fear to corrupt a pristine land as
the justification for the lack of action of courts and legislature.
However, he fails to acknowledge that the main point of Lessig's argument
is that "cyberspace will not take care of itself" [4] and there is a need
for more legislative action.

I do agree with Koppell's argument that many times the metaphor is used
merely as a marketing tool, as an exploration of the need to be part of the
'cool' place.  I also agree that cyberspace is not a "pristine and untamed
land" that will be corrupted by the existence of law. However, these
arguments do not invalidate the use of the place (I prefer space)
descriptive. In fact, describing cyberspace as a place may be beneficial,
for people are -used to fighting for the preservation of places/spaces they
cherish. It may be useful to create awareness and the need for action,
rather the passivity that describing it as a simple carrier or medium would
imply.

[1] See for example http://www.cybergeography.com or
http://www.telegeography.com
[2] http://www.mappingcyberspace.com
[3] Lawrence Lessig. (1999). Code and other laws of cyberspace, p. 191.
[4] Lessig, p. 61.