Bruce Sterling on 21 Sep 2000 15:59:48 -0000

<nettime> Obligatory Pro-NATO Saber-Rattling Cluetrain

----------
>From: "Dimitri Devyatkin" <dimitrid@xs4all.nl>
>To: <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
>Subject: Re: <nettime> remember the kosovo war on this list?
>Date: Wed, Sep 20, 2000, 05:09 AM
>

> As a newcomer to Nettime, I didn't see your Kosovo war discussions. May I
> ask a few simple questions:
>
> 1) Were there any people on Nettime who supported the NATO bombing
> campaign? What percent?

*Hey!  Yo!  Over here!  The Card-Carrying Cyberpunk Agent of American
Cultural Imperialism!  I'm from Texas, I'm an army all by myself!

> 2) Did anyone think that Serbian Television was a proper war target and
> that bombing it was a correct act?

*Are you kidding?  It should have been smithereened on day one!  Tell it to
B-92.

How about the Chinese Embassy?

*How about it?  Except for it's being Chinese, it never seemed
to amount to much compared to the stricken tots, maternity hospitals,
ecological catastrophes and other bloody-shirt standards of Balkan regime
agitprop.

> 3) What might have been the nature of any 'censorship' that was carried
> out by the editors of Nettime -- from what point of view? (Specifically
> what do your critics think you edited out, besides messages +ACI-that
> appeared to be written by secret police or others intended to disrupt the
> discussion+ACI- ? Did you cut off rabid Serbian supporters?)

*Oh for heaven's sake, get with the program, newbie!  Nettime isn't an
infowar list, you need to be hanging with guys like Robert Steele and Winn
Schwartau, the Acceptable Face of Bloodlessly Obliterating Serbia By Remote
Control

> Many well-educated, liberal, otherwise gentle, loving people I know
> swallowed the NY Times propaganda whole and to this day support the
> bombing. It could easily happen again... That's what concerns me.

*Be afraid, be very afraid. One putsch into Montenegro and the rubble will
be bouncing no matter how warm and loving we are and no matter who's in the
New York Times.