Geneva J. Anderson on 7 Oct 2000 19:49:52 -0000

Re: <nettime> No Nazis, just Hitler

> Micheal Benson wrote:
> > 1. Listening to Kustunica's lengthy interview on TV Serbia last night, I
> > suddenly realized that extent to which the madness of the last decade --
> > a madness that consumed an entire country and took hundreds of thousands
> > of lives -- was the extension of the pathologies of one diseased,
> > brilliantly cunning, and utterly ruthless man.
>
> Give me a break! Benson, are you that naiv, or did you watch too many action
> movies? Never thought about the command structures within the serbian army?
> Find a scapegoat to explain why things are the way they are. Like there
> weren't any Nazis, right, there was just that evil man Hitler...

We have to ask would those people have committed those atrocities in the
absence of a leader like Milosevic?  Yes and no. We are all
quite familiar with the history/arguments on each side.  This is my
opinion...notwithstanding
the constipation of the system..from a prosecutory standpoint, we do not
only want scapegoats...we want to go after the top guys. What we have
observed in other areas at the Hague is that the middle bureaucrats have
been nailed while top dogs like Milosevic have walked. The focus should be
on prosecuting him to the full extent of the law
and quickly.

Geneva Anderson