josephine bosma on 19 Oct 2000 22:19:46 -0000

<nettime> in and out

I don't have time to go into this at length right now, but I would like to
point at something which disturbs me. As some of you know nettime has gone
through a lot of struggle internally, as to whether it should be moderated
and how, and as to who does the moderation. This resulted, after two to
three years of squabbling, in the making of an un-moderated version of
nettime: nettime-bold. This list is supposed to be the rough or raw
version of nettime, yet it is something else, as I am slowly discovering.

It became clear when nettime-bold was initiated that the bold list had a
very special feature: it is not connected to the moderated list. If you
send to the main nettime-l@bbs.thing.net adress, your mail is supposed to
land in both the nettime-bold list and in the moderators mailbox. When
replying to nettime bold however, your mail goes to an entirely different
adress, and the moderators don't have to bother with it. This way the raw
list does not ever interact with the moderated list, it can not
technically, unless of course one is clever enough to always reply to the
bbs.thing adress.

Now it turns out that the bold list has many many hick ups, that are not
fixed or take ages to fix. There is simply no incoming mail, or mail gets
somehow routed past it by the moderators. Because I have no time to
constantly read the moderated nettime archive online (lets not even
mention the bold archive: it was constructed in such a fashion that
reading it is nearly impossible), it took me a while to discover (through
forwarded mails etc) that there is an entire layers of nettime posts that
NEVER reaches the bold list. Here are some examples I just found on the
rhizome raw list, sent there by Rolux:

         Geert Lovink
         reports from the net.congestion streaming media festival
         http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200010/msg00101.html

         Tetsuo Kogawa
         Two or Three Things I Know About Streaming Media
         http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200010/msg00103.html

         Micz Flor
         İROSS-İODEC-İOMPATIBILITY
         http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200010/msg00110.html

         Ulrich Gutmair
         The Net Is Not the Club
         http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200010/msg00114.html

         Martin Conrads
         2000 Years of Convex tv.
         http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200010/msg00129.html

When clicking on these entries in the nettime archive you can see they
were posted during a period the nettime bold list seemed to be functioning
normally, yet they never appeared there.  I would appreciate it very much
if the nettime moderator and technical crew would shed some clarity
publically on how they see both the moderated and the raw nettime list,
what list members can expect from these, and what say/voice list members
have in the development of both lists.

regards

*