Phil Graham on 26 Oct 2000 07:37:47 -0000

RE: <nettime> Palestinians as Myth

What a strange and confusing time. The concept of globalised humanity -
once nothing but a Marxist utopia - is now being pushed most hard by
institutions such as the WTO, UN, IMF, World Bank, etc, etc, as well as by
the most right-wing commercial institutions (by which I mean weapons- and
money-mongering monoliths) on whose behalf the former (legislative) group
appears to work most successfully.

On the one hand, there is the celebration of nationhood by self-professed
leftists who would formerly have been committed to internationalisation; on
the other, we see the disparagement of nation-states as a dangerous - if
not evil - fiction by other self-professed leftists. Meanwhile, humanity
has never seemed (at least to me) so destructive, nasty, or farcical in its
endeavours, each apparent win signifying a defeat of another qualitative kind.

Humanity in the abstract has only ever been of limited usefulness. This is
true at any level: "the individual", "the family", "the organisation", "the
nation", "the culture", "the ethnic group", "the religion" --- all hopeless
abstractions after a certain, very simplistic level of conceptual
application. Perhaps this is all we are capable of in the end.

Pales was a god who took the form of a donkey. Palestine is the name of a
geographically (i.e. geometrically) defined space, the nature of which, as
we know, is as movable as collective (mis)understandings and
(dis)agreements, which are almost always mediated by violence at some point
in history. As far as Judaism goes, I understand it as a religion, and thus
as a relation without geographical, ethnic, or cultural borders, like Islam
or Catholicism or Buddhism or whatever.

I am not sure that juxtaposing the achievements of, say, Kosovars in
surviving their own "rescue" by remote control carpet bombing on the part
of the "forces for good" (I note Al Gore's statement in the third "debate"
that 'not a single human life was lost in the Kosovo war ......... A single
American life') to the South African apartheid regime under the aegis of
'national self-determination' is useful or even vaguely commensurable. Put
differently, "national self-determination" is an incomprehensible term in
the first place. There is no such thing. Hasn't been for decades if there
ever was (I very much doubt it). So I wonder what "national
self-determination" might mean. I also wonder on what basis a group would
claim nationhood in the first place, if not on cultural, ethnic,
linguistic, colonial, geographical, militaristic, or religious bases. Which
of these - or which collection of these - would be more legitmate bases for
claiming nationhood?

It seems to me that we keep extrapolating clearly flawed and failed
political models out to larger units of organisation, where now we can
think of the earth as if we existed outside it (and some people do for
periods of time), as if "it" (viz the whole of human activity) could be
controlled from a few centres. Richard's comment about taking what many of
us have for granted is quite clear and legitimate to my mind (but what is
it that most of us have that those less fortunate do not?), especially in
the context of the groups he listed.

I'm not sure how you relate that comment to a regime based on the
assumption that certain "types" of human beings are not really human at
all. People claim all sorts of abstract rationales for killing off or
dehumanising other people: democracy, freedom, racial hygeine, evolutionary
or technological inferiority, economic efficiency, etc. Thus, according to
dominant definitions, some people can be bombed, deprived of resources,
tortured, murdered, exploited, disparaged as less-than-human, uncared for,
and so on.

Like I said, weird times. I doubt if we have the language or conceptual
ability to explain and comprehend what is going on.

regards,
Phil

At 06:25 PM 23/10/00 +0100, Wessel van Rensburg wrote:

>The imperative of National self-determination, was the main justification
>given by the Nationalist government in South Africa, when it instituted the
>policy of Apartheid - 'separateness'.
 <...>