Eric Miller on 9 Nov 2000 19:41:55 -0000

RE: <nettime> Election Protests Start Saturday

hi all,
much as I agree with this in principle, and as a Gore supporter, one line
sticks out here--

"In this case, the stupid custom of "winner take all" is blocking
democracy."

the "stupid custom" in this case is the Constitution.  we simply cannot
pre-empt it.  the rule of law is just, but not always fair.  And if that
means we have a Shrub in the White House, so be it.

And in states like Oregon, if the electors don't vote as they pledge then
they can be held liable in court for violating their agreement with their
respective party.

Eric