Mike Weisman on 26 Nov 2000 09:03:19 -0000

<nettime> [Fwd: Schell Mail #84 -- N30] PaulSchell@MayorSchell.com wrote: The one-year anniversary of the WTO conference will be this Thursday, November 30. Some groups are planning teach-ins, forums, and press conferences to commemorate and continue the public discussion that must be held worldwide about global trade. I commend these groups for using constructive ways to educate people on these important issues and to keep the issues in the fore of public debate. The King County Labor Council, for instance, will be hosting a press conference, forum, and potluck at the Labor Temple. Major environmental and faith-based organizations have also chosen either to refrain from participating or to organize similar kinds of gatherings. Other groups are planning for street marches and rallies. These too can be effective and peaceful forms of expression. Unfortunately, events last year taught us that they also can take a very different turn. Over the course of this past week I have been speaking to this concern. I thought I might pass my message along here as well. The top priority for my office and for the Police Department has always been, and will continue to be, public safety. We fully support the right to free and peaceful expression. We will swiftly respond to law-breaking or vandalism or violence of any kind. We are calling on any groups that wish to demonstrate to obtain permits and to obey the law. Peaceful gatherings won't create problems. Freedom of speech is one of our country's highest values, but we cannot allow it to become freedom to vandalize, freedom to interfere with the rights of others, freedom to disrupt city business, or freedom to block city streets. I think our citizens understand the difference and we will enforce the law as they expect us to. We are aware that several groups are planning to gather at Westlake Park. But because of the previously permitted carousel activity for children and families at that location, we are permitting groups that want an assembly point to gather at Victor Steinbrueck Park near the Pike Place Market. One final point. It is important to recognize that this is not WTO. There is no world conference occurring. Far fewer people are involved. Nevertheless, Chief Kerlikowske and the Seattle Police Department have made thorough plans for any eventualities, taking into account all the lessons learned from last year. My hope is that N30 will be a peaceful day of public discussion about issues of importance to the future of the global community. At the same time, the City is fully prepared to address unlawful behavior should it occur. more later...paul *********************************************************** Thank-you to everyone who has subscribed to Schell Mail. We now have 4630 subscribers. We would like to have more subscribers. So please share Schell Mail with a friend. It's easy; just ask him or her to send an email to: Subscribe@MayorSchell.com To see previous Schell Mails please visit our website at: WWW.MayorSchell.com If at any time you'd like to cancel your subscription simply send an email message to: Paul@MayorSchell.com. Put the word Unsubscribe in the body of the message. To reply to an item in Schell Mail or to send a message to Paul Schell, please send an email to: Mayors.Office@ci.seattle.wa.us