nettime on 28 Nov 2000 22:09:12 -0000

Re: <nettime> "cheap wireless linux for everyone"

Hi,

when I read the word "WAP" I cant hesitate to reply:

> not sure if this has been posted here already. i think it's
> just a prototype at this point, but might be of interest to those
> interested in WAP.
>
> quoted from:
> http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_11/cisler/index.html

> > http://rehmi.www.media.mit.edu/~rehmi/pengachu.html or write to
> > pengachu@media.mit.edu

Those "WAP" devices cant read anything else than "WAP" pages. Its a closed
world within the WWW. Compare this to the bigger world of those handhelds
like the japanese imode. Most successfull ISP in Japan. It works !! 20
million customers or so.

I think a german URL is www.jmode.de. It is called "imode" in Japan.

Havent seen it, must be something like the Nokia Browser with lynx.

Well, in the middle ages, pictures and texts...I am not shure how
this imode thing cant display graphics. Anybody seen imode in action ???

H.