ricardo dominguez on 29 Nov 2000 19:51:31 -0000

<nettime> Draft Report: Independent Technical Review of the Carnivore System

Draft Report: Independent Technical Review of the Carnivore System

http://www.usdoj.gov/jmd/publications/carniv_entry.htm

Note: In this publicly available version of the IITRI draft, we have
redacted Appendix D.2 through D.4, which contain a detailed description of
the Carnivore software structure, and a clause in paragraph 3.4.4.1.1,
which relates to operational methods. These redactions were made after
preliminary internal review, and with a view toward making the vast
majority of the draft publicly available as soon as possible. We are
continuing to review the need for even these limited redactions. If we
ultimately determine that they are not necessary, we will make the
redacted material public.

This Draft Report from the IIT Research Institute (IITRI) is part of an
overall review of the Carnivore system requested by the Attorney General.
Over the next two weeks, the Department of Justice and the FBI will be
providing IITRI with comments on their draft report. We also welcome
comments concerning Carnivore from members of the technical community and
from interested groups or members of the public. If the comments are
technical, we will pass= them on to IITRI. If they are non-technical, then
the DOJ review panel will consider them.

Comments may be made by e-mail to Review.Panel@usdoj.gov. Comments may
also be mailed to Carnivore Review Panel, U.S. Department of Justice, Room
1744, 950 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20530.

IITRI expects to provide DOJ with a final version of its review on
December 8, so any technical comments must be received no later than
December 1, 2000. Comments on non-technical issues should be received by
the same date in order to get the most thorough possible consideration
from the Department's internal review panel. That panel expects to present
its final report to the Attorney General on or about December

Last Updated: November 21, 2000