Julian Sanchez on 17 Dec 2000 07:27:16 -0000

Re: <nettime> This artwork degrades women.

> I would also like to say that Wayne Myers' response might be the most
> childish reaction to serious criticism that I've seen in a long time.

Funny, I thought Myers' response was much more serious than such an
obviously meritless critique deserved.  The worst part is that Penny seems
to realize the obviously reflexive intent of the piece, but manages to
continue on in high dudgeon nevertheless on the grounds that (1) this intent
was not spelled out in enormous crayon block letters next to the piece and
(2) the naïve and impressionable audience at ISEA will be programmed by the
unstoppable power of the quoted image to commit violence against women.
Personally, I've always wondered how actors who play Othello manage to avoid
becoming serial murderers.
   As for ISEA's attempt to "disenfranchise artists whose work exhibits
feminist and other political sensibilities", what was Dan Wang's marvelous
phrase?  Ah yes... "the spectre of censorship trotted out as promised and as
required."   Here's the next step for you: label Myers, or anyone who reacts
similarly, a "mysogynist." We all know how this goes.  Perhaps they weren't
so much censorious, though, but rather justifiably bored, if this is how one
goes about exhibiting "feminist and other" political sensibilities.  Surely
there's more authentically offensive stuff out there which will allow y'all
to exercise your self-righteous... ahem, sorry, your "principled and
rigorously considered stance."
-julian