curator on 10 Jan 2001 13:34:43 -0000

Re: <nettime> Disassociate Webdesign from Usability

How often we have wondered wistfully, "Why can't we all just get along?"

Our think tank convened in early 19XX (that's an approximate date) to
discuss this very issue and they have yet to emerge from their secluded
hideaway.   We haven't heard or seen them in quite a while, nor have we
noticed any change in the smoke issuing from their chimney.  We are left to
assume that either they have all killed one another or that they are still
deliberating. (We very conveniently choose to ignore the possibility of slow
starvation.)  Thus we are led to declare ourselves particularly unprepared
to address the question publicly.

However, when presented with a concept of computer art that assumes that the
word art somehow is equated with the words visual art, we pounce.  That is
the fear that wells up within when we see great big boulders lying in the
middle of our little dirt information super byway like SFMOMA's latest.  If
art continually chases technology, it will always be in the service of
industry.  ("I simply must learn Flash 5 or I'll never be able to complete
my piece." says the young computer artist.)  Similarly, if the museum chases
technology...what are the artists in the museum chasing. Didn't Intel
sponsor that processor gobbling monstrosity known as 010101. In short, we
cannot let those who author closed source applications determine our digital
destiny.

That's the issue if you ask us.  Maybe that's why we can't all just get
along.

If we sit back and let them, the macromedias and adobes will have us
believing that they are the source of the creative impulse.

But before this thread fades into oblivion let's be sure to thank geert for
starting the whole discussion.  Otherwise, what impetus would we have to
express ourselves ?  We are very lazy after all.

BTW Eric, we would be fairly disappointed if Mute were expected to behave
more like TV Guide.  Would you?
--
curator, conceptualart.org
www.conceptualart.org