Jonathan Prince on 16 Feb 2001 08:26:04 -0000

<nettime> C-SPAN & The failure of the BIG portals

My morning pleasure is watching/listening to C-SPAN
(the cable channel that shows the US Congress live and other press
conference stuff in DC - just some info for non-USAers)

The morning show is Washington Journal (
http://www.c-span.org/journal/) which has guest reporters,
politicians and others who take 2-3 hours of Call-Ins from Americans
who care about politics.

It certainly isn't a good focus group of 'average' Americans, but
ones who give a shit about something - left or right or 'center.'  So
it is fun to see what people think and know about outside the DC
beltway. Often their observations are much much more astute than any
of the experts on the show.

One of the topics this morning was 'What Is Your Favorite Website For
News'.  And while some mentioned foxnews.com there was little mention
of the BIG portals, I don't think anyone even mentioned CNN.com more
than once.

Instead people mentioned small sites that may have a mere tens of
thousands of users instead of millions.  Some representing a
ethno/religious/racial bent rather than purely political - but almost
all mentioned were slanted towards the views of the user.

People called passionately about sites like http://www.foxnews.com
and even more obscure sites like http://www.dogonvillage.com and
http://www.samachar.com

Watch the archived video:
http://video.c-span.org:8080/ramgen/fdrive/wj20010215.rm
   [ push the slider thingy on your RealPlayer to about
     34 minutes to skip to the News Website segment ]

Being an arm-chair cyber-anthropologist, I'd say that politically
interested people want news combined with an online community of
similar views.  Not a new observation, I know.

Others sites mentioned were:
http://www.Democrats.com
http://www.motherjones..com
http://www.freerepublic.com