Bill Spornitz on 4 Apr 2001 01:37:53 -0000

<nettime> IBM bites bigtime

The thing I don't understand is this:

At one point, Yahoo was worth more than General Motors. Now, if the
stock market isn't a complete *foma*, all that *surplus value* has
got to be in the system somewhere, right? And it's gotta be looking
for more action...

from the IBM annual report:

http://www.ibm.com/annualreport/2000/flat/toc/2_3_1_intro.html

So, we're going to invest $1 billion in Linux, and we've dedicated
1,500 programmers to enable every IBM hardware and software
product for Linux. Our strategy is to accelerate its adoption as a
platform that can support heavy-duty, enterprise workloads-such as
those already in production with customers like weather.com, Shell
International Exploration and Production in the Netherlands, and
Telia, Scandanavia's largest telecommunications company. We think
that, at the end of the day, the operating system that provides the
most flexibility to customers is the one that is going to end up
winning. We're voting with our customers on this one. We're betting a
big part of IBM's future on Linux.