Sarai Media Programme on 6 Apr 2001 14:56:42 -0000

<nettime> Sarai Newsletter

Dear Friends,

We are beginning a Sarai newsletter, starting with this one. The
Newsletter will initially be mailed once a month. It will give you an idea
of events scheduled at Sarai in the coming month, and also a brief summary
of the previous months' engagements at Sarai. The newsletter will also
inform you about new list and discussion groups that form around the Sarai
initiative.

The new Sarai website is now up. It is a completely redesigned site with
many new and interactive features. Please check it out. We would
appreciate your comments on it. There is also a section on the Sarai
Opening in the website. In case you were not present during the Opening,
you can see pictures and find about the various panels and discussions on
the 'Reports ' page. If you were present at any of the panel discussions
or the planers, we would appreciate your comments and/or criticisms which
you can post to dak@sarai.net . Your comments will also be placed on the
website.

The Sarai Interface (Version 1) is now available at the Sarai premises in
Delhi. Located in the Public Projects Area, it is conceived as an
interface zone between Sarai and its various programmes and the public,
especially the academic, media and activist communities to start with. We
invite students, teachers, researchers, photographers and media
practitioners to curate websites, put fragments of their own works,
articles, works in progress, works by other professionals in their fields,
alternative syllabi and bibliographies. We seek to make the Interface a
computer browsable as well as an off-line space (our coffee bar is
adjacent) so as to have a place where knowledge which is in the public
domain can be easily availed, accessed and debated.

Designed with a playful, interactive skin, the Interface has the following
sections: Archive, Academic Resources, Gallery, Free Software, Encounters,
Calendar, About You, About Us, and E-mail, besides a Search facility of
the documents placed in the Interface. Interesting material already
available include intensive interviews with Indian cinematographers,
photographic work, syllabi on urban studies and media programmes and
essays on contemporary culture (in English and Hindi). We will keep you
posted as new material is added.

The Sarai Reader 01 "The Public Domain" is now out. It can be ordered by
sending an e-mail to dak@sarai.net, and a bank draft or crossed cheque of
Rs. 150 plus postage (Rs 24 for India, and Rs 140 for South Asia) at the
Sarai address given below. You can also pick it up from the Sarai premises
whenever you visit us. To further engage with the issues in the Reader,
there is a reader list which you can subscribe to and contribute. Please
go to the url http://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/reader-list, or mail
us at monica@sarai.net

The Sarai Reader 01 is also available online on our site.
http://www.sarai.net/journal/reader.htm

Forthcoming Events

Sarai will host a Festival of East German Films A Look to the East (Blick
nach Osten) from the 10th of April to the 13th of April 2001. This is a
series of films presenting cinematic discoveries in Eastern Europe - a
world so alien yet so familiar... The films are:

1. Tuesday, April 10, 4 pm
    Vokzal - The Brest Station (Vokzal-Bahnhof Brest)
     (1994, by Gerd Kroske, 90 min )

2. Wednesday, April 11, 4 pm
     Cold Homeland (Kalte Heimat)
     (1995, by Volker Koepp, 158 min.)

3. Thursday, April 12, 4 pm
    Off Season (Nach Saison)
    (1997, by Pepe Danquart & Mirjam Quinte, 127 min)

4a) Friday, April 13, 4 pm

    Slask / Silesia (Slask/Schlesien)
    (1994, by Viola Stephan, 80 min)

b) Tired Companions (Müde Weggefährten)
    (1996, by Zoran Solomun, 71 min)

Werner Rucizka, Director of the Duisburg Film Festival of Documentary
Films in German Language will be present at the screening to introduce the
films and discuss them with the audience. All the films are subtitled in
English. An annotated programme will also reach you by e-mail.

If you want to receive this newsletter, please inform us at
dak@sarai.net

--
Sarai: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies