Paul D. Miller on 15 Apr 2001 19:39:25 -0000

<nettime> clarity...

Joel - the message was a quick announcement, and there'll be more
details in a little while. Dhalgren was an incredibly important novel
about how American culture's conflicts during the 1960's. It is now
the 21st century and we still have race riots (check out Cincinnati's
riots in the news today ad yesterday.... c'mon this seems really
really really really really really really obvious....), and intense
structural racism. By my standards, the "Old Left" ideas that Mark
represents are actually re-enforcements of all the kinds of
boundaries that make those kinds of situations happen. The intensity
of this kind stuff is not likely to go away anytime in the near
future. I don't "hate" Mark Dery, I have total and utter contempt for
the man, and I feel critics like him have held been totally
detrimental to the notion of arts and letters as a place for growth
and intellectual stimulation.  We were editors at Artbyte (in fact I
helped vote to bring him in, but that was before I had really "met"
the man), and he treated people abysmally, and started an absolutely
poisonous atmosphere, in which, for example, my writing was called
nifty stuff like "ebonic plague" because I focused on on some the
ways dj culture is altering language etc etc As an African American
involved with digital culture, I found that Mark was a farce, and if
you look at most of the discourse around digital culture these days,
people of color are consistently crushed out of the narrative for
precisely those reasons. The recent forum in Artforum magazine, for
example, was a perfect example of the kind of vapor ideas Mark
espouses, with absolutely nothing to back him up, but he is a white
American, and he will be published until the sky falls..... If you'd
like more info, I'd be more than happy to point out specifics, but
the basic idea is that I really think that the discourse in the
conventional critics circles is so utterly lame and one sided that it
is completely out of touch with the "real" world. Basically the
subject heading game was just a ruse, no more no less. But that's a
minor topic. The message didn't mention Mark because he's not that
important a voice in what I was talking about. Yes, I enjoy paradox,
and yes you can't have the bad without the good. This seems pretty
self evident. I definitely think that you didn't understand what I
was writing about. No I'm not into the whole "new agey" "positive"
happy feel good -ism promoted by various folks, and I don't think
that my e-mail said that I was into only the "good." The future, like
the present, is what we make of it. In any case, thanks for the note.
okay,
Paul

ps, I definitely don't play "happy" pleasant sounding tunes... if
you'd like, go to a place like Freenet.org and download my live sets
with Thurston Moore and Yoko Ono.... ummmm or actually listen to the
music before you write that kind of stuff. But anyway, hopefully this
clears up what you've discussed.