Bruce Sterling on 17 Apr 2001 23:20:50 -0000

<nettime> Sounds like it could be handy

from: Rick Prelinger <footage@archive.org>
subject: announcing the Internet Moving Images Archive

The Internet Moving Images Archive is now online and available for your use.

This noncommercial resource contains high-quality digitized versions of
archival films available for free downloading and reuse.  Never before
available online, these "ephemeral" films document many aspects and events
of 20th-century American culture and society, including media and media
production, communication, technology, landscape, urban history, economics,
political science, warfare, the New Deal, and many other areas. Most were
originally released as advertising, educational, industrial, documentary,
amateur or government films.

At present, over 800 out of a planned total of 1001 titles are available,
all from Prelinger Archives.  All may be downloaded and reused for free,
with no restrictions other than that the films cannot be resold or licensed
by anyone in their entirety or as stock footage.  Our intention is that
these titles should circulate freely as "open-source" content.

We encourage you to download this material for your own use and for the use
of others.  You may also wish to make videotape copies of these films for
exhibition or reuse.  We hope that easy access to these films will assist
mediamakers, scholars, teachers, students, exhibitors and members of the
general public in coming to terms with the complex and diverse audiovisual
history of the 20th century.  Further, we hope that easy access to a
diverse collection of copyright- and restriction-free content will
encourage more people to be moving image authors in their own right.

The digitized video files are in MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats. Information on
downloading and players is available on the site.

Please visit the Archive at http://www.moviearchive.org
<http://www.moviearchive.org/> .

An article on the background and rationale for this project may be found at
http://eserver.org/bs/52/prelinger.html.

The Internet Moving Images Archive is a project of the Internet Archive
(http://www.archive.org <http://www.archive.org/> ) in collaboration with
Prelinger Archives
(http://www.prelinger.com <http://www.prelinger.com/> ).

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Archives  http://www.prelinger.com <http://www.prelinger.com/>
P.O. Box 590622, San Francisco, Calif. 94159-0622
+1 415 750-0445      Fax: +1 415 750-0607
footage@panix.com