nettime's_bored_summer_intern on Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:03:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> The study of the future has no subject. [question digest x 3]

"Joeri Mol" <joerimol@hotmail.com>
     I want to post this message (how do I do it?)
"elaynez" <elaynez@msn.com>
     auto/biographies
"Cynthia Scroggie" <cynthia@bates-arg.com>

From: "Joeri Mol" <joerimol@hotmail.com>
Subject: I want to post this message (how do I do it?)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:42:58

MUSIC JAPAN

IS THERE ANYBODY WHO CAN MENTION INTERESTING PEOPLE TO INTERVIEW REGARDING
THE IMPACT OF THE IT REVOLUTION AND THE JAPANESE MUSIC/FILM INDUSTRY?

At the moment I am conducting several semi-structured interviews in order to
arrive at an issue-inventory here in Japan for a PhD. that I am pursuing. I
am focussing on the big intermediaries (like Sony, AVEX etc.), regulatory
bodies (METI, JASRAC), the retailing industry, voluntary associations of
musicians/directors, academia and other relevant bodies.

In a nutshell, the objective will be to assess how the IT revolution has
affected the key economic players in the cultural industries, being:
&#61623; 			Musicians/film directors
&#61623; 			Intermediaries (Sony, EMI, BMG etc.)
&#61623; 			Retailing industry

With regard to the musicians/film directors, the digital revolution has
enabled them to record their work themselves and most probably at a much
cheaper rate than the traditional recording studios. Furthermore, with the
current technology they can also distribute their work via the World Wide
Web.

Needless to say, starting musicians/film directors still face many obstacles
to be overcome before such production and distribution is economically
viable. However, these new modes of transaction pose a significant threat to
the conventional way of doing business in these industries. The
intermediaries and the retailing industry alike have to guard themselves
against the loss of market share and the decline in profits. The current
turmoil surrounding Napster is a striking demonstration of the far reaching
implications  the introduction of  IT applications has in these industries.

Does anybody know more about the Japanese case; please contact me.

Kind Regards

Joeri