tarikh korula on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:54:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Planet destroyed; film at 11

>Do you mean that getting two
>different breeds of dog to mate is the same as manipulating their DNA
>in a test tube?  Give me a break, or at least ask my opinion.

a small point, but yes, i do think that's the same actually. correct me
if i'm wrong, but didn't we "create" the species/breeds themselves? i'm
curious about this, did dogs exist before humans came along? i was always
under the impression that we created the species by inter and cross
breeding wolves, with the intent of domesticating them. and i think corn
is the same deal, native americans cross bred wheat until they had
created a new vegetable. forgive my lack of scientific rigor here, i'm
curious to know if i'm wrong about this. i missed mcphee's post, perhaps
he adressed this. of course, in the past you couldn't get a stalk of
wheat to fuck a dragon fly, so there were some real limitations to
genetic modifications. and native americans didn't seem to care too much
about patent law.

this leads not to the inevitability of genetic modification in my mind,
only the inevitability of the human desire to persue it. how will we
address this desire? the free market doesn't seem the best venue to
explore this. in fact, it's probably the worst.

---------
Tarikh Korula
tk@angel.net