Jo van der Spek on Fri, 29 Jun 2001 06:11:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> welcome Slobo!

dear Slobo,

We welcome yu on Dutch territory!

Yu will have a chance to face the immaculate investigators of NIOD Never
heard of them? It's the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation. It is
supposed to give the final historic judgement on who is responsible for
the fall of Srebrenica. The predictable outcome: everybody is responsible,
so nobody is guilty. Just what our politicians love to hear. And Yu'll be
in good company: the Crown Prince of the Netherlands just this week gave
his testimony on who drank most of the beer at the welcome party for
Dutchbat in Zagreb. (the Crown Prince himself, of course). By the way, his
father-in-law is also going to a tribunal in Argentina. Anyway, we
Dutchmen are very happy to finally welcome in yu the Real Evil. That's
just what we need. Belgium has Dutroux, France Papin and Germany a lot of,
well Germans of course. But in Holland we only have good guys. We have to
import evil. We tried to become evil ourselves by going to Srebrenica,
bombing Belgrade and chasing Coke-dealers in Colombia. But it didn't turn
out convincing enough: we still can't believe Dutch can do serious harm or
even evil, even abroad. We had some excesses back in the fourties in
Indonesia, and some looking away during WWII, but it always took too long
to realize that it was us, and not our fathers, to have a serious impact.

Thank Good we have Yu now. We wish yu good luck during your
"inburgeringsproces", your integration in Dutch society: try some cycling
while in The Hague, don't refuse any offer of drugs (it may kill yu, but
even that's legal here), and feel free to have all your family and close
friends join the party. Make yourself, and us, comfortable.

yours sincerely

--
Jo van der Spek, journalist, program maker & tactical media consultant
H. Seghersstraat 46