Martin Pichlmair on Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:17:15 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Have we not learned anything from the 90s?

so fight the symptoms, and not the cause (rocky horror picture show)

until now we have the possibility to choose .. at least here in central
europe, i personally am still able to switch the channel .. and all those
great websites full of "high-quality, culturally aware" content are still
on line [ well, at least some of them ] ..

we have not learned from the 90s as teh people of the 90s have not learned
from the 80s and so on .. if you want to see it that way .. mankind will
not learn unless it is absolutely neccessary for staying alive [ or for
having sex ] .. and my private live is not really influenced by the
"greatest police chases" on channel #234 .. not at all

shouldn't we just make it better and let "mankind" do what "mankind" wants
to do as long as it does not influence us directly .. often it is harder
yet more "fullfilling" to produce a high-quality, cultural aware program
for ourself than to damn the existence of the opposite .. i am sure -
there will be a time, when people will learn ......

have a nice day,
martin

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, MICHAEL ARNOLD-MAGES wrote:

> Television was initially thought to be an agent of (what I would call
> positive) social change by bringing high-quality, culturally aware
> programming to the masses.
 <...>

                               : martin pi
                      contact  :
e9626313@student.tuwien.ac.at  :  0699 10443742
  johann strauss gasse 32 / 7  :  1040 vienna
                               :  http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9626313