nettime's_rumormonger on Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:11:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> genoa, sorta digest [tiziana, brown, dominguez]

Tiziana <T.Terranova@btinternet.com>
     Global police state
"Lachlan Brown" <lachlan@london.com>
     'that fury that will shine'
"ricardo dominguez" <rdom@thing.net>
     Is Italy governed by fascists? strano.net

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:42:47 +0100
Subject: Global police state
From: Tiziana <T.Terranova@btinternet.com>

I am in London, bound to take a plane to Italy in a couple of hours and
listening to news direct while watching BBC news and browsing indymedia, la
repubblica, bbc news and so on. The version of the Genoa events passed by
news direct, the ITN radio news service, was very disturbing: the violent
and brutal raid against the GSF is quickly hinted to, but as a kind of
regular police operation, and most of the feature is taken by Tony Blair
stating that demonstrators are obviously to blame. If the police was ever to
blame, apparently, the world would become incomprehensible to Mr. Blair.
Nothing on BBC news that I could see.

The police raid carried out on the GSF saturday night was horrifying and
needs to be of great concern for several reasons. The people in the building
were sleeping and unarmed and according to witnesses who listened outside to
their screams and saw the pools of blood inside after the police finished,
the violence was just very brutal, of a level and  intensity that had not
been seen in Western Europe for decades. It has become clear to everybody
who has followed the events that Italy is living in a fascist regime to all
effects, a postmodern one where il duce is a man who thinks he can turn a
whole country in one of his TV programmes, a man incapable, as somebody
said, to understand the rules of democratic dissent and a government that is
playing with the fire of the fascist ghosts of the Italian past. It will be
up to the Italians to build a swift, massive and mature political defense of
their democratic rights.

But what is going on at a global scale? Who can put pressure on the Italian
Government so that they will have to accept that what they have allowed and
ordered is unacceptable, considering the level of documentation of the riots
that we have? Bush? Blair? Were we so concerned with the globalisation of
capital, that we haven't really noticed the globalization of the State, and
in particular of the police State? If such a level of police violence (the
comparison of  witnesses is with seventies Chile under Pinochet) is
acceptable and justified at a global level in a major western nation, I
think we are crossing a threshold here. There is no level of street violence
that can justify such an attack. This is obviously a message to anybody who
believes in the necessity of organized democratic expression from below. For
whatever complicated reasons we are living in 2001 with at least three world
leaders Bush, Blair and Berlusconi (BBB as a friend made me notice) who are
reluctant to accept the notion of legitimate democratic dissent, as if
governing a country was just receiving a mandate for four years that will
give you absolute dispensation from the general framework of democratic
rights.

Please, keep an eye on Italy and support the Italian defense of democratic
rights by exercising pressure on your governments, corporate media and
Italian embassies. It does feel as if the country is stepping in a very
dangerous spot and this is a turn that has implications for the whole
anti-corporate globalisation movement but also for the whole globe itself.

tiziana