Nils Röller on Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:28:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Towards a Cusco-Manifesto

[via "geert lovink" <geert@xs4all.nl>]

Towards a Cusco-Manifesto

We need a warm-time-machine.

The Internet is becoming more and more a time-machine, that homogenizes
worldwide relations. We do believe that this needs a new warm input.
Today's input comes from a northwestern time-structure.  We do not
question single enterprises like the international space station, we want
to build our a time-space-station in Cusco.

Cusco is more than Venice.  It is not only a nice counterpart of the
world, not only a system of channels, that is permanently overfludded by
international tourism, it is more and it is different. It is a compass for
ideas and a habitat to develop critical creativity.

Why? Because Cusco is a place in between: between inca-past and global
future.

Global future will be conditioned by electronic networks. The inca-past
was conditioned by a non-literal network. Today Cusco is overfludded by
international tourists that do want to adventure the existing botanic
jungle and also the hidden jungle of precolumbian history. This history
was not written. Is was only interpreted by the writers of the western
colonizers, that did represent the Inca knowledge in a medium that is
strange to its individual structure. We will question this structure.

Our structure of approaching Cusco is the difference machine. The
difference machine starts to work, when different media techniques are in
conflict.

Our warm-time-machine works with the energy of this conflict. Going
towards Cusco converts a hybrid energy.  McLuhan said that the artist is
able to realize how new media techniques will change common
time-space-feeling. Cusco is different. It enables to realize how networks
in past and future can merge together.

We do invite artists and scientists to use their insight into
timespace-architectures. We ask them to take examples of precolumbian
work. For us a a vase found in an inca tomb or corns of amaranth are not
only elements of a past tradition nice to gaze at. They are traces of
another time-space structure.

We do encourage artists to invest in a special stock market. We trade with
visual robbery and we do aks artists to rework and reflect the robbery of
western treasure-hunters.

This reflection will allow us to createt resources for the
warm-time-machine: to build step by step the Cusco Academy.