ANASTASIOS KOZAITIS on Sat, 22 Sep 2001 23:20:22 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: A failure of vision?

I work in New York City at The Rockefeller University, and we were given
the opportunity to hear a lecture yesterday on NYC's plans in case of
emergency terrorism. The person who spoke to the University community was
Jerry Hower, I believe, but I know that the spelling of his name is
incorrect. He is the man who has developed NYC's emergency plan against
terrorism. He admitted that he had thought through all types of
terrorism--chemical, biological, and small bombs, etc. But, he said that
unfortunately he never imagined a 767 flown into the WTC.

The chemical materials he discussed were:
Sarin
Tabun
VX
Soman
Cyanide
Mustard/Blistering agents

The biological materials:
Anthrax
Small pox
Staphylococcal Enterotoxin B (SEB)

He said that he is least concerned with chem warfare because it would take
so much to contaminate a large body of the population, and he included the
NYC water supply. They do test the water supply but not dynamically like
the Israelis do, he admitted. He had just visited Israel to see how often
and what types of testing the Israelis do on their water supply. But, NYC
uses 1.2B gallons of water/day, and he believes that to contaminate the
city's water supply on a level that would hurt a large body of the
population is still very difficult. He did not, however, rule out targeting
distinct areas of the city.

As for the biological warfare, he said that with anthrax, etc. we get a
window of approximately 3 days. He is concerned with this, and believes
that NYC will be a target of bio warfare rather soon. The city has created
an algorithm to track the purchasing of certain over the counter products
from pharmacies. The city knows how many types of diuretics, etc. are sold
on a day to day basis, and a report is run every morning at 5:00 a.m. The
Director of the Office of Emergency Management reads it first thing every
day, he said. As soon as the numbers jump over a certain threshold, the
stockpile is released. Every amublance in the city has vaccines for chem-bio.

I have been hearing people say that the "terrorists" have finished with
NYC, that they will hit somewhere else next, which I do not believe, and
Hower said he did not believe that in the least either.

--Ak