scotartt on Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:04:19 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Napsterisation of Everything

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:06:41AM -0600, Bill Spornitz wrote:

> In the ten years or so I played in the live *scene* I must have played
> thousands of songs by other artists (what we call *covers*)  without any
> effort to compensate copyright holders. It might be foolish of me to admit
> to this, except that I am joined in this activity by millions of fellow
> musicians. Indeed, a large percentage of these cases, band leaders insist
> that arrangement specifics like sax solos be copied exactly from the
> recordings.

I am not sure about the specifics of America, or whereever you are Bill,
but the usual deal with this in Australia and probably similarly
everywhere else is that the copyright agency levies the _venues_ or the
_promoters_ for a fee that covers this. Even jukeboxes have to be lievied
this way, or for that matter, shops that play music to their customers
(e.g. clothes shops). Then the band leader (I guess) submits a 'live
performance return' which details what songs the band played, and the
songwriters get their cut of the royalty.

I know for a fact that I usually as much if not more money playing my own
compositions live than I will make from radio airplay of the same
compositions, if I remember to submit the live performance returns. Some
promoter friends of mine have to submit the playlists of all their DJs!!!
In the end due to the difficulty of compiling such a list they submit a
list that consists of all the music that is made by their friends.

regs
scot