Leo Lake on Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:23:20 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The social life of paper

Felix Stalder presented us with a review of:

> THE SOCIAL LIFE OF PAPER
> by MALCOLM GLADWELL
> Looking for method in the mess.
> http://www.newyorker.com/printable/?critics/020325crbo_books
> Issue of 2002-03-25
> Posted 2002-03-18

.. and it was a wonderful read.

So?

So, after information has been given a social life, the medium has
earned one too?

Humans think not only within their heads, but also with their hands,
feet, and senses. There is nothing really new here. Granting the medium
the status of a social life has been done already. Situationists for
example, whether logically or psychologically inclined, have thought
about this for years and have said similar things in the process.

We have managed to abstract information from their carriers and turned
it into a substance that can transported over datacommunication lines.
While the borders between information carriers have been made to
disappear, we have strenghtened the border between information per se
and the real world. The screen is that border (ok, ok, ok and the
keyboard and the speakers and the mouse...) and it seriously limits the
traffic or the interaction between the real and the virtual. Moving real
humans to the virtual may be too difficult for us here and now, so we
better think of how to move the virtual into the real. The linear border
that the screen is, needs to be fractalized, perhaps even broken into a
fully chaotic set.

We have forgotten to shape the information 'to the measure of men' when
it has to be handed over to them, accepting the limits of the screen as
we accept gravity. Interface design has too often meant screen design,
while it should be the design of a multitude of information-carriers.
Non-screen design has discretely been moved to dark world of the
visually handicapped.

Why the hell can't I listen, in my kitchen, to my e-mails using a
standard PC? My ears are my kingdom. Why are 3-d printers practically
non-existent? My hands are my best senses. Why can't my computer make
coffee? My brain needs coffee. Why? Well, some of it my technically be
too complex, but most of it just does not fit in the screen-mode of
thinking. Perhaps we need more little appliances. Perhaps we need more
variations in computer-output and input. I got feet, why can't I use
them wile working at my pc?

We need to free ourselves from the screen and that requires more than
just paper, if for no other reason than that there is also a world
outside office-doors. Heck... even outside the I.M.F...

But, chances are, that in another 10 years a new author will again write
a book about the forgotten social life of some information carrier. Want
  to bet that it is paper again?

Most of all we need a (real, not virtual) memory for important things.

L.
E. lake@lake.nl
W. http://www.lake.nl