nettime's digest on Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:35:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Palestina [3x]

Table of Contents:

   FWD: How to Join/Support the International Solidarity Movement (ISM)
     Gita Hashemi <gita@yorku.ca>

   SchNEWS on: STATE OF TERROR
     "roya.jakoby" <roya@girlfish.net>

   International Action: Solidarity Camp in Lebanon
     Gita Hashemi <gita@yorku.ca>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:11:16 -0400
From: Gita Hashemi <gita@yorku.ca>
Subject: FWD: How to Join/Support the International Solidarity Movement (ISM)

>Announcement for all
>
>Dear everybody,
>
>Due to the current situation of the led by the war-criminal Sharon and
>his government against the Palestinian people, many peace activists in
>many countries have expressed their willingness to join the
>International Solidarity Movement (ISM) and the Grass-roots
>International Protection for the Palestinian People (GIPP) in Palestine
>in the coming weeks. Moreover, many of our activists who are in this
>moment joining the campaign are under house arrest because of the curfew
>in the Palestinian Refugees' Camps, we have decided that Jerusalem will
>be the location and the starting point of all the actions.
>
>We will try to get the International activists from Jerusalem into one
>of the Palestinian cities in order to help with the activism there. The
>Guest house of the YWCA will be the location where all will be based.
>The cost is $15 per person per night on bed and breakfast basis. As for
>other kind of costs, it will be hard to estimate.
>
>Guest House info:
>Young Women Christian Association - Jerusalem (YWCA )
>Abla Naser
>Ibn Jubeir St., East Jerusalem
>Tel: 02- 628 2593
>Fax: 02- 628 4654
>
>When you arrive to Jerusalem, you need to contact the ISM and GIPP
>organizers for orientation at the following numbers:
>
>George S. Rishmawi
>+972-(0)52-502079
>
>George N. Rishmawi
>+972-(0)52-299310
>
>George Qassis
>+972-(0)52-321304
>
>Ghassan Andoni
>+972-(0)52-595319
>
>Rapprochement Centre
>+972-(0)2-277-2018
>
>Hanna Rishmawi (GIPP)
>+972-(0)52-437513
>
>Sabeel Centre (Cathy)
>+972-(0)2-532-7136
>
>Bahiyya (GIPP)
>+972-(0)55-378262
>
>One of the above mentioned contacts should answer you and give you
>advice and information.
>
>Important Notice:
>Please note that the numbers that starts with (0)55 or (0)52 are mobile
>phones and sometimes there is no good service in certain areas. So
>please try another number in case of failure with one of them. If the
>disconnection persists, please try again until you get in touch with one
>of us or the Guest House.
>
>Please contact us at the following addresses
>pcr@p-ol.com and please make sure that you make a CC to
>  georgesq@yahoo.com and include the following
>heading in the subject line "Register April".
>
>We will arrange the accommodation for you in the hotel and if anybody
>needs transportation, we are happy to help as well.
>
>Tasks Needed in Palestine:
>1- Provide Protection for civilians by staying with Families in
>Refugees camps, villages and towns.
>2- Accompany Ambulances
> [...]
- --
======

We must organize against the seige of Palestinian people by the
Israeli army. Our silence implicates us in the genocide.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:00:49 -0400
From: "roya.jakoby" <roya@girlfish.net>
Subject: SchNEWS on: STATE OF TERROR

Thought I forward you this latest newsletter from Jo Makepeace in
Brighton. His SchNews newsletter is already 3 days old, yet more than
just up-to-date. The last paragraph mentions some sickening facts that
shouldn't surprise anybody, really...

laters, roya.

This week's SchNEWS: http://www.schnews.org.uk/

HOLY SHIT! IT'S YER FAITHFUL

SchNEWS

Friday 5th 2002 | Issue 349

STATE OF TERROR

"History is repeating itself...This is fascism, how they [the Israeli
soldiers] are dealing with people, detaining them in big schools and
interrogating each one, writing numbers on them. People are terrified. The
Israeli soldiers are shooting everything. Life here has totally stopped;
it's dead. This is terrorism against civilians. It is organised terrorism
by the state...this is an organised war against a whole people who have no
weapons to resist tanks, and helicopters and F16s." - Ashraf, a
Palestinian imprisoned in his home in Ramallah.

It's Monday in Beit Jala, a small town near Bethlehem and 150 people from
the International Solidarity Movement and dozens of Palestinians are
marching peacefully in the deserted streets. They are attempting to visit
families besieged in their homes, before Israeli tanks block their path.
Two of the marchers start to move towards the tanks with their hands up in
order to negotiate, but soldiers open fire at both the crowd and the
reporters that are there. Eight people are injured, one seriously.

Other activists are holed up with Yasser Arafat in his headquarters. Mario
Lill from Brazil's Landless Workers' Movement (MST) is one of those who
are acting as a human shield and has become a sort of war correspondent
broadcasting live to Brazil. Others such as anti-globalisation French
farmer Jose Bove were arrested in the compound by Israeli troops.

Wednesday and two thousand people including internationals, Israeli and
Arab civilians gather at a checkpoint near Ramallah trying to get
humanitarian aid delivered to the besieged town. Soldiers fire tear gas
and baton charge people. One of the protestors was Yehudith Harel "Two
Israeli faces surfaced today. One is the decent and humane face of the
Israeli Anti-war movement - an alliance of Israeli citizens - Jews and
Arabs, adamant to struggle together for Justice for the two peoples. The
second is the ugly and brutal face of the Occupation mentality and
practices threatening to crush us."

CASUALTIES

People from around the world have been volunteering in the occupied
territories of the West Bank for over a year, taking non-violent direct
action like clearing roadblocks and acting as willing human shields to
protect the Palestinian people. Invited by Palestinian activists, these
international supporters live and work in solidarity with them - a similar
call out to the one made by the Zapatistas in Chiapas, Mexico. People from
abroad can often get away with a lot more when protesting, partly because
they have the eyes of the international press on them - until Monday that
was, when live ammunition was fired at the international observers for the
first time.

As for the Palestinians, even the doctors, nurses and paramedics are being
used by the Israeli army as human shields or forced to strip and sit on
their knees at gunpoint in the streets. Israeli forces have stopped
ambulances delivering aid or picking up the wounded and are detaining the
Palestinian Red Crescent society and aid workers. 120 Palestinian
paramedics have been killed in the last 18 months.

As Israeli tanks roll in to Palestinian settlements, they destroy
telephone lines and cut electricity and water supplies. All men between
the ages of 16 and 50 are rounded up. Some homes are destroyed, others
have their windows blown out and walls dynamited as soldiers move from
home to home. Soldiers occupy other homes forcing the residents to live
together in a single room, with little or no access to telephone lines,
news coverage or even food and water.

An entire civilian population is being openly terrorised after over 50
years of occupation by the Israeli State.

Michael Ben-Yair, former Israel attorney general said, "The Intifada is
the Palestinian people's war of national liberation. We enthusiastically
chose to become a colonist society, ignoring international treaties,
expropriating lands, transferring settlers from Israel to the occupied
territories, engaging in theft and finding justification for all these
activities...we established an apartheid regime."

Lev Grinberg (Director of the Humphrey Institute for Social Research at
Ben Gurion University) sums up the situation: "Suicide bombs killing
innocent citizens must be unequivocally condemned; they are immoral acts,
and their perpetrators should be sent to jail. But they cannot be compared
to State terrorism carried out by the Israeli Government. The former are
individual acts of despair of a people that sees no future, vastly ignored
by an unfair and distorted international public opinion. The latter are
cold and "rational" decisions of a State and a military apparatus of
occupation, well equipped, financed and backed by the only superpower in
the world."

* Boycott Israeli goods protests happening around the country this
Saturday (6th) including: Waitrose, Western Road, Brighton 11am;
Sainsbury's, Queens St. Cardiff 10am; Marks and Spencers Oxford St,
Swansea Midday. To order boycott leaflets and stickers and find out events
happening in your area email: big@palestinecampaign.org or call the
Palestine Solidarity Campaign 020 7700 6192

* Saturday 13th April National rally and demonstration for Palestine.
Assemble 2pm, Hyde Park to Trafalgar Square. Tel 020 7272 2888.

* To find out about more about the International Solidarity Movement
 http://www.freepalestinecampaign.org

* Bypass the corporate media
 http://www.jerusalem.indymedia.org
 http://www.zmag.org
 http://www.palestinechronicle.com
 http://www.alternet.org

* Nearly 400 Israeli Defence Forces reservists are refusing to serve in
the occupied territories. Read their reasons why
http://www.yesh-gvul.org

        While Palestinians are being shot dead by Israeli troops
        and Americans wage 'War on Terrorism' BAE Systems, the
        world biggest arms trading company, are laughing all the
        way to the bank as their share prices have increased by
        13.8%. Why not congratulate them at their AGM on May 3rd.
        To get involved, contact: Campaign Against Arms Trade
        0207 2810297 http://www.caat.org.uk