Phil Duncan on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:37:31 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Palestina [5x]

While choking back the bile that rises in my throat at the way the US media
has demonized the Palestinians, and the complicity of the world community
with the abuses of the Israelis, and the resulting escalating violence, I
can't help but wonder why no one is calling for Sharon to denounce Israeli
terrorism as we demand of Arafat.  Also, my trepidation increases hourly at
the misappropriation of the definition of terrorism since 9-11.  It seems
that any faction resistant to the political, military and cultural dominant
can now be assailed in the spirit of "anti-terrorist" crusade.  What
plagues my heart even more is the blatant disregard for the constitution
that the present United States administration has demonstrated for the U.
S. Constitution.

In the face of all of that, I am even more strongly moved by the way the
U.S. popular media dishes out its rhetoric to the masses who lap it up like
sweet little lap kittens, while their masters go about their business of
making a business out of hate, violence, and genocide.  I would like to
offer a disturbing fact in response to Dan's post:

>There is a myth that US support for Israel exists because of the
>strength of the zionist lobby--meaning "Jewish lobby", as if there
>were thousands of Jewish zionists pressing palms on Capitol Hill
>everyday, or funneling thousands of dollars to pols all the time. In
>the more crackpot, fringe versions of this story diamonds get put into
>the pockets of presidents and senators. That's a bunch of anti-semitic
>crap-- military contractor interests are probably much more important.

Well, yes, it is far more complex that one or two Big Print Headline causes
(remember Lyndon B. Johnson was in the back pocket of McDonald Douglas
during the Viet Nam escalation), but myth or not, popular perception is
being fueled by an irresponsible media.  I quote from the last paragraph of
an article by Laurence McQuillan on Page 6A in the April 10, 2002 edition
of USA Today titled, "Bush exerts careful pressure on Israel":

<begin quote>
The president does not want to confront Sharon directly.  He says he
believes his father, the first President Bush, made a political mistake
that helped cost him the re-election when he threatened to withhold some
U.S. aid in order to block Israel's plan to build settlements in
Palestinian territory.  The settlements were not built, but the showdown
led to a strain in U.S.-Israeli relations, and some Republicans say Bush
lost Jewish votes.
<end quote>

It could be no clearer that the source of the myths are the President
himself as represented in the popular media.  How do you train the
citizenry to see beyond the representations of its media?  What if this is
indeed accurate reporting, and Bush II is indeed more concerned about his
own personal control of political power, so that he is willing to be
accessory to the mass murders occurring?  Is that so out of character?  Or
is pandering to the interest of the war industries so out of character?

What are the implications if Bush II really did say the things he is
reported to have said?  The sad fact of the matter is that the only reason
that Bush II has motivation at all to intervene in this crisis is because
he wants Arab support to invade Iraq to finish the job his old man didn't -
kill Saddam Hussein.

>So it is very, very important to maintain a strong stance against
>racism in all its forms, including and especially anti-Semitism, given
>the smokescreens before us. Maybe the most difficult part of this
>situation is that there are a handful of Jewish demogogues more than
>ready to take advantage of anything that could possibly be perceived
>as anti-Semitic.

Again, yes, standing in resistance to racism is the strongest form of
defiance to this type of rhetoric.  As with so many other land disputes -
issues of race, religion, economics, etc, ad nauseam are hijacked to build
emotional sentiment that may serve to cloud the real issues of power and
control, on both the state and personal levels.  As long as the masses
stand divided against each other, they can never organize against the
powerful.  Why is it human nature to haggle over our differences, rather
than rally around our similarities?

>I think the best thing to do is to inform ourselves
>and each other about the way all this developed, about how others
>(Religious Right, esp) have used the conflict for their own ends, and
>how support for a state which adheres to a ethnically-defined Right of
>Return practice cannot in any way be termed anti- or non-racist.

There is a saying that, "Blood washes blood."  If either religious faction
in this conflict would examine the doctrine of their faith system, then
perhaps understanding would come to pass that violence answered by violence
is not acceptable behavior.  The sad fact is that in this conflict, Sharon
has never had peace as an objective.  Be it fact, fiction, or myth, the old
testament describes an Israel that is oppressed and enslaved by many of the
other nations in the region.  Has their national memory and conscience been
wiped clean?  Why is there no empathy from a nation whose national identity
is rooted in violence and genocide?  How can a nation so proficient at
continuing to keep the Holocaust of WWII fresh in the minds of the world in
the same breath condone genocidal actions?

>This conservative christian crusade mentality, in alliance with
>nationalist sentiment from some Jewish groups, the tempting potential
>for non-Jews to claim anti-racist credit, and generic War on Terror
>aggression against everything Arab is what is making this all possible
>right now. The least known element of this coalition from hell is the
>stake held by the conservative christians, and that's why I'm writing
>about it.

Again, I agree with you whole-hearted.  But even more nocuous, I submit
that the least talked about element in complicity with the enduring
conflict is the American public who accept the actions and non-actions of
their leadership without question.  The masses who digest the popular
media's biased representations of right and wrong, us and them from the
comfort of their living rooms, while surrendering privacy and
constitutionally granted rights in order to feel more secure and stable
during their rites of consumption.

Can we expect the masses to sit by complicitly during the trial of Lynne
Stewart when the courts will enforce the six-month old Justice Department
directive that allows the government to listen in on conversations between
lawyers and their clients?  (hmm, funny sense of timing...)  What is the
future of being a defence lawyer in the U.S. with intimidation like
this?  In how many states will the citizenry sit back while the federal
government overrides issues passed by numerous state referendums? (As in
the case with Oregon's statute which legalizes a doctor prescribing a
lethal dosage for terminally ill patients so that they may exercise their
right to die with dignity?  Ashcroft's edict was even personalized - worded
to reflect his values and not to represent the position of the government,
nor even his office.)  Yet the complacent masses purr away as their leaders
run roughshod over the fundamental document of our nation.  How many more
infractions of the constitution will we endure in the name of Homeland
Security?

To quote an old Chicago song, "Do you even think they'll think?"