WoNereH on Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:28:35 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> A European speaks far better than I:

On Jew-hatred in Europe
By Oriana Fallaci
April 17, 2002
Originally published in Corriere della Sera. Translation by Chris and
PaolaNewman

I find it shameful that in Italy there should be a procession of individuals
dressed as suicide bombers who spew vile abuse at Israel, hold up photographs
of Israeli leaders on whose foreheads they have drawn the swasitka, incite
people to hate the Jews. And who, in order to see Jews onceagain in the
extermination camps, in the gas chambers, in the ovens of Dachau and
Mauthausen and Buchenwald and Bergen-Belsen et cetera, would selltheir own
mother to a harem.

I find it shameful that the Catholic Church should permit a bishop, one with
lodgings in the Vatican no less, a saintly man who was found in Jerusalemwith
an arsenal of arms and explosives hidden in the secret compartments of his
sacred Mercedes, to participate in that procession and plant himself infront
of a microphone to thank in the name of God the suicide bombers whomassacre
the Jews in pizzerias and supermarkets. To call them "martyrs whogo to their
deaths as to a party."

I find it shameful that in France, the France ofLiberty-Equality-Fraternity,
they burn synagogues, terrorize Jews, profane their cemeteries. I find it
shameful that the youth of Holland and Germany and Denmark flaunt the kaffiah
just as Mussolini's avant garde used to flaunt the club and the fascist
badge. I find it shameful that in nearly all the universities of Europe
Palestinian students sponsor and nurture anti-semitism. That in Sweden they
asked that the Nobel Peace Prize given to Shimon Peres in 1994 be taken back
and conferred on the dove with the olivebranch in his mouth, that is on
Arafat. I find it shameful that the distinguished members of the Committee, a
Committee that (it would appear) rewards political color rather than merit,
should take this request into consideration and even respond to it. In hell
the Nobel Prize honors he who does not receive it.

I find it shameful (we're back in Italy) that state-run television stations
contribute to the resurgent antisemitism, crying only over Palestinian deaths
while playing down Israeli deaths, glossing over them in unwilling tones. I
find it shameful that in their debates they host with much deference the
scoundrels with turban or kaffiah who yesterday sang hymns to the slaughter
at New York and today sing hymns to the slaughters at Jerusalem, at Haifa, at
Netanya, at Tel Aviv. I find it shameful that the press does the same, that
it is indignant because Israeli tanks surround the Church of the Nativity in
Bethlehem, that it is not indignant because inside that same church two
hundred Palestinian terrorists well armed with machineguns and munitions and
explosives (among them are various leaders of Hamasand Al-Aqsa) are not
unwelcome guests of the monks (who then accept bottles of mineral water and
jars of honey from the soldiers of those tanks). I find it shameful that, in
giving the number of Israelis killed since the beginning of the Second
Intifada (four hundred twelve), a noted daily newspaper found it appropriate
to underline in capital letters that more people are killed in their traffic
accidents. (Six hundred a year).

I find it shameful that the Roman Observer, the newspaper of the Pope--a Pope
who not long ago left in the Wailing Wall a letter of apology for the
Jews--accuses of extermination a people who were exterminated in the millions
by Christians. By Europeans. I find it shameful that this newspaper denies to
the survivors of that people (survivors who still have numbers tattooed on
their arms) the right to react, to defend themselves, to not be exterminated
again. I find it shameful that in the name of Jesus Christ (a Jew without
whom they would all be unemployed), the priests of our parishesor Social
Centers or whatever they are flirt with the assassins of those in Jerusalem
who cannot go to eat a pizza or buy some eggs without being blownup. I find
it shameful that they are on the side of the very ones who inaugurated
terrorism, killing us on airplanes, in airports, at the Olympics, and who
today entertain themselves by killing western journalists. By shooting them,
abducting them, cutting their throats, decapitating them. (There's someone in
Italy who, since the appearance of Anger and Pride, would like to do the same
to me. Citing verses of the Koran he exorts his "brothers" in the mosques and
the Islamic Community to chastise me in the name of Allah. To kill me. Or
rather to die with me. Since he's someone whospeaks English well, I'll
respond to him in English: "Fuck you."

I find it shameful that almost all of the left, the left that twenty years
ago permitted one of its union processionals to deposit a coffin (as a
mafioso warning) in front of the synagogue of Rome, forgets the contribution
made by the Jews to the fight against fascism. Made by Carlo and Nello
Rossini, for example, by Leone Ginzburg, by Umberto Terracini, by LeoValiani,
by Emilio Sereni, by women like my friend Anna Maria Enriques Agnoletti who
was shot at Florence on June 12, 1944, by seventy-five of
thethree-hundred-thirty-five people killed at the Fosse Ardeatine, by the
infinite others killed under torture or in combat or before firing squads.
(The companions, the teachers, of my infancy and my youth.) I find itshameful
that in part through the fault of the left--or rather, primarily through the
fault of the left (think of the left that inaugurates its congresses
applauding the representative of the PLO, leader in Italy of the Palestinians
who want the destruction of Israel)--Jews in Italian cities are once again
afraid. And in French cities and Dutch cities and Danish cities and German
cities, it is the same. I find it shameful that Jews tremble at the passage
of the scoundrels dressed like suicide bombers just as they trembled during
Krystallnacht, the night in which Hitler gave free rein tothe Hunt of the
Jews. I find it shameful that in obedience to the stupid, vile, dishonest,
and for them extremely advantageous fashion of Political Correctness the
usual opportunists--or better the usual parasites--exploit the word Peace.
That in the name of the word Peace, by now more debauched than the words Love
and Humanity, they absolve one side alone of its hateand bestiality. That in
the name of a pacifism (read conformism) delegated to the singing crickets
and buffoons who used to lick Pol Pot's feet they incite people who are
confused or ingenuous or intimidated. Trick them, corrupt them, carry them
back a half century to the time of the yellow star on the coat. These
charlatans who care about the Palestinans as much as I care about the
charlatans. That is not at all.

I find it shameful that many Italians and many Europeans have chosen as their
standard-bearer the gentleman (or so it is polite to say) Arafat. This
nonentity who thanks to the money of the Saudi Royal Family plays the
Mussolini ad perpetuum and in his megalomania believes he will pass into
History as the George Washington of Palestine. This ungrammatical wretch who
when I interviewed him was unable even to put together a complete sentence,to
make articulate conversation. So that to put it all together, write it,
publish it, cost me a tremendous effort and I concluded that compared to him
even Ghaddafi sounds like Leonardo da Vinci. This false warrior who always
goes around in uniform like Pinochet, never putting on civilian garb, and yet
despite this has never participated in a battle. War is something he sends,
has always sent, others to do for him. That is, the poor souls who believe in
him. This pompous incompetent who playing the part of Head of State caused
the failure of the Camp David negotiations, Clinton's mediation.
No-no-I-want-Jerusalem-all-to-myself. This eternal liar who has a flash of
sincerity only when (in private) he denies Israel's right to exist,and who as
I say in my book contradicts himself every five minutes. He always plays the
double-cross, lies even if you ask him what time it is, so that you can never
trust him. Never!  With him you will always wind up systematically betrayed.
This eternal terrorist who knows only how to be a terrorist (while keeping
himself safe) and who during the Seventies, that is when I interviewed him,
even trained the terrorists of Baader-Meinhof. Withthem, children ten years
of age. Poor children. (Now he trains them tobecome suicide bombers. A
hundred baby suicide bombers are in the works: a hundred!). This weathercock
who keeps his wife at Paris, served and reveredlike a queen, and keeps his
people down in the shit. He takes them out of the shit only to send them to
die, to kill and to die, like the eighteen year old girls who in order to
earn equality with men have to strap on explosives and disintegrate with
their victims. And yet many Italians love him, yes. Just like they loved
Mussolini. And many other Europeans do thesame.

I find it shameful and see in all this the rise of a new fascism, a new
nazism. A fascism, a nazism, that much more grim and revolting because it is
conducted and nourished by those who hypocritically pose as do-gooders,
progressives, communists, pacifists, Catholics or rather Christians, and who
have the gall to label a warmonger anyone like me who screams the truth.

I see it, yes, and I say the following. I have never been tender with the
tragic and Shakespearean figure Sharon. ("I know you've come to add another
scalp to your necklace," he murmured almost with sadness when I went to
interview him in 1982.) I have often had disagreements with the Israelis,
ugly ones, and in the past I have defended the Palestinians a great deal.
Maybe more than they deserved. But I stand with Israel, I stand with the
Jews. I stand just as I stood as a young girl during the time when I fought
with them, and when the Anna Marias were shot. I defend their right to exist,
to defend themselves, to not let themselves be exterminated a second time.
And disgusted by the antisemitism of many Italians, of many Europeans, I am
ashamed of this shame that dishonors my Country and Europe. At best, itis not
a community of States, but a pit of Pontius Pilates. And even if all the
inhabitants of this planet were to think otherwise, I would continue to think
so.----

FAIR USE NOTICE: This post contains copyrighted material the use of which has
not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making
such material available in an effort to advance understanding of
environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and
social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of
anysuch copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US
CopyrightLaw. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107"